25.

Luke didn't end up sleeping over. After things began getting way too heated, Luke came up for air, mumbling something about the no-sex part of our agreement and then climbed out the window, leaving me shirtless and confused.

I didn't hear from him yesterday. Alfie and I played with Pepper in the backyard for a while and I tried to look over the fence, to see if he was moping in his tree house but it was empty. We didn't even text which was unusual and now as I'm getting ready I am wondering if he'll even show up to ride to school together like usual.

I did, however, end up hearing from Joss. She called last night and told me that she really is happy about the break-up and that she'd rather not talk about it anymore. Given that I've never had a boyfriend, I'm not going to try to tell her how to deal with her breakup, but still, It's going to be so weird for a while.

I've never known Joss to not be with Michael. Who will he sit with at lunch? Joss, Luke and I are the only people he really spends time with. Will they still be friends? Will Luke and I have to stop sitting together at lunch too, taking a side each like kids in a divorce?

Maybe that's not such a bad thing if yesterdays silence is anything to go by. I can't figure out if Luke's freaked out that we could have had sex or if he's just confused about how he feels.

I'm just as surprised. My feelings completely caught me off guard, and my timing could not have been worse. I mean, I've been a virgin for seventeen years and then Luke's in my bed for five seconds and I can't even wait until we're home alone? Alfie and my Dad were right in the living room! They could have walked in at any time.

I should probably thank him for putting aside his hormones and stopping it before it went further, yet what I feel most is disappointment. Maybe he's not attracted to me. Maybe I'm a bad kisser. Luke's been with so many girls, he's obviously more experienced. Is this what it will be like next year when I go to uni? Everyone will be so far ahead of me, and I'll be like the awkward Virgin Ruby.

There's a knock at the door and I exhale. "Coming!" I call out, grabbing the two donuts I'd picked up from the bakery when they opened this morning. I open the front door to find a dishevelled, unshaven Luke. His blue eyes are lined with dark circles and I can tell by the way that he's scratching the back of his neck that he's only just woken up.

"Brought you a donut," I say sweetly, not sure if I should say anything about his shabby appearance. He looks like he's barely slept.

"Thanks. You didn't have to," he says, biting into it anyway. Once we're in the car, I start eating mine too. Maybe the sugar will abolish the awkward silence.

"Hey, did you finish reading A Midsummer Night's Dream?"

Now I know he hasn't slept. "Luke," I try to keep my voice gentle, instead of teasing him like I usually would. "I'm not in your English class. We've already finished it. You can have my notes if you want."

He doesn't say anything, just finishes off his donut and continues driving. I'm starting to think I should have drove us to school this morning. When we get to school, I grab his hand before he can leave the car.

"Are you okay?"

"I didn't sleep well," he says. Well, yeah, I can see that.

"Why? Is everything okay? Is there anything I can do?" I thought my head was a mess this morning, but Luke's clearly struggling with something. Is this my fault?

His beautiful features pain for a fleeting moment. I've never seen him like this and I have no idea what's going on. Is this still about the kiss? Did something happen with his Mum? "It's...," he sighs. "It's fine," he answers flatly, getting out of the car and holding my hand as we walk into school.