chapter 16 • dinner

"Make yourself at home darl." Liz kindly says to me as we walk in the front door of their home.

"Thanks." I softly speak.

"Is there anything I can get you?" Luke fusses over me.

"No I'm ok." I answer.

"You sure?" He asks.

"I'm fine."

We walk through the house and into the lounge room where we sit down on the couch. Luke turns on the television to Family Guy. He starts laughing and smiling at the screen as I sit there in silence. It's the first time I've been around him and seen him laughing and happy. Usually he is dealing with me either being drugged or upset. It's good to see him smile, it makes me smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jessy." I hear someone speak as they nudge my body.

"Jessy wake up, dinner is ready." Luke calls again as I rub my eyes before opening them.

"I didn't realise I fell asleep. Sorry." I apologise as I realise that it's now 8pm.

"It's ok. Come on, you've gotta be hungry." Luke says, which is so true.

We both walk towards the kitchen and I'm startled when I see two men sitting at the table.

"This is my Dad and my brother Jack." Luke speaks up next to me as he notices my tense body.

"Hi." I practically whisper with a wave.

"Hey, I'm Andrew. It's nice to meet you." Luke's Dad says kindly and his older brother gives me a waves with a smile.

Luke stands back as he lets me pick which seat I want to sit at. I take the seat next to Liz before he sits down beside me. Looking down at the meal in front of me is such a foreign feeling. I didn't have to cook and I didn't have to put up with Ryan not being happy with what I served him.

Throughout dinner Luke and his family make small talk amongst themselves. They seem to be giving me some space, they don't really include me in conversation. They probably have no clue what to talk about or ask me anyway. I wouldn't know what I ask me. My life isn't really typical dinner time conversation.

"That was amazing Mum, thanks." Jack says as he excuses himself from to table.

"No problem. Drive safe." She tells him as she gets up and gives him a hug goodbye.

"I always do Mum." He groans as she ruffles his hair.

"Alright. Well text me when you get home." She adds.

"Will do." He replies as he reaches for his car keys and heads out he door.

"I'll show you where you're sleeping." Luke says turning to face me.

"Ok." I answer slightly confused as I just assumed I was sleeping on the couch.

He leads me down a small hallway and into a bedroom.

"This was Jack's bedroom before he moved out. Mum said you're welcome to stay as long as you want." Luke tells me as I stand in the hall amazed.

"Thank you, but I really don't mind sleeping on the couch." I honestly reply.

"Don't be silly. We have a spare room, it only makes sense." He says.

"Well thank you."

"Umm...if it's ok, could I go take a shower?" Luke strangely asks me.

"You don't need to ask me." I answer confused.

"I know, I just wanted to make sure that you'd be ok." He replies, seeming almost afraid to leave my side for my own sake.

"I'll be fine, I promise. I might just go to bed anyway, I'm pretty tired." I speak up.

"Ok, well goodnight." Luke says as he takes an awkward step forward as if he's going to hug me but changes his mind and takes a step back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke's POV:

I pull my shirt over my head and throw my towel in the washing basket as I head out into the kitchen to where Mum is.

"Need a hand?" I ask Mum as I reach for a tea-towel and start drying the dishes.

"How's Jessy doing?" Mum asks me.

"Yeah she's ok I think." I answer.

"I saw her run out of the hospital in tears. What happened?" She asks.

"They were asking her a bunch of questions and it all got too much." I tell Mum as I remember the exact look on Jessy's face.

"Poor thing." Mum sighs.

I just nod my head and continue wiping up. Once we've cleaned up from dinner I head to bed. As I walk past the spare room Jessy is staying in I notice the light shining under the door but ignore it. I climb into bed and turn off my light and the house falls silent for a moment. My room is right next to the spare room Jessy is in and as I try to sleep all I can hear is her crying. I contemplate whether or not to go in and see if she's alright but I don't want her to feel awkward or invaded so I just lay in bed and listen to her sobs, wishing I could hug her and make it better.

______________________

OMG 3K READERS!! THAT'S CRAZY. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH, I LOVE EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU

AND FIRST EVER LUKE POV!!! HAHA
______________________