chapter 18 • banding

Luke's POV:

"Umm.. Here's some money. I can come in if you want." I suggest as I hand Jessy a note.

"It's ok, I've got it." She answers seeming a little hesitant but she gets out of the car and walks towards the shops before I can say anything more.

I sit in the car, tapping my fingers on the steering wheel as I listen to the radio. After a while I watch Jessy walk out of the shops at quiet a fast pace. She seems startled and a little panicked but I don't want to ask her what's wrong because that's all I seem to do.

"I hope you don't mind but I bought some other stuff." Jessy finally speaks as I turn out onto the highway.

"All good. What did you buy?" I ask her trying to make conversation as I take a peek in the bag.

"Umm..a bra and underwear." She hesitates to tell me.

"Oh..." I answer as I regret asking her.

"Here's the change." She says, as she goes to hand me the change.

"You keep it." I smile and I can tell by the smile she returns that she's thankful.

"Do you want to go to Maccas?" I ask her.

"I only have $1.50, I probably can't get that much." She replies.

"I'll pay for it, you don't need to worry." I tell her.

"You sure?" She hesitates to asks obviously feeling guilty for spending my money.

"Of course I'm sure."

We pull up at the drive through and I place my order before turning to Jessy to see what she wants.

"What would you like?" I ask her.

"Umm...I don't know, I'll just get a hot chocolate." She tells me.

"Can I make that two hot chocolates?" I ask the lady over the speaker.

"Yeah sure, is that all for today?" The lady taking our order asks.

"Yes thank you."

"That comes to $10.60, drive through to the first window." She tells us as I drive to the first window and count out the money.

I hand the lady the money and drive to the next window to collect the order.

"Nothing like a second breakfast." Jessy jokes as she points to my bacon and egg Mcmuffin.

"I'm a growing boy." I defend myself as I watch a smile grow on her face and a small giggle leave her lips.

It means so much to see her laugh and not feel pain for that small moment. My phone chimes as I receive a text.

"Can you check that for me?" I ask Jessy since I'm driving.

She reaches for the phone and reads out.

"It's from 'Michael is a dick'." She giggles before continuing.

"Where the hell are you at? You said you wouldn't be long. I'm hungry and Calum's girlfriend is driving us all nuts."

"Reply to him and say. Stop bitching, I'm on my way home now." I tell her as she types away at my phone.

She puts my phone down and takes a slip from her hot chocolate. I can tell that little gestures such as buying her a hot chocolate or giving her money to buy the things she needs means so much to her. Nobody has ever done that for her before and I hate to imagine the way Ryan treated her behind closed doors. I only know some of what he did and it's horrible. Nobody deserves to be treated like that...especially a girl.