chapter 23 • ghost

After the day we had I go to bed with a massive smile on my face. I'm Luke's girlfriend.

I finally manage to get to sleep around 1am because my mind and my heart is racing but yet again I'm torn out of my sleep by raging nightmares. My body jolts and my eyes open only to be confronted by darkness. I turn on the bedside lamp to try and find some comfort but it doesn't work. I'm panicked and shaking as I remember every excruciating detail from my life with Ryan. I fumble with my phone to turn on its torch before pulling my covers off. I walk through the house and around every corner I tense up scared that Ryan will be lurking behind it.

I finally reach Luke's bedroom and open up his door. Walking over to the bed I call his name a few times hoping he will wake up but he doesn't.

"Luke." I call as I stand over him.

"Luke." I call again but this time I lightly shake his shoulder causing him to let out a groan and roll over.

He still doesn't wake up so I pull back the covers and climb into bed next to him. As I cuddle into his chest trying to rid me mind from the night terrors he wraps his arms tightly around my waist.

"Bad dreams?" He whispers croakily.

"Yep." I whisper back as he pulls me in even tighter and presses a kiss to my forehead.

"You're safe now." He tells me as I let myself relax into his body.

"Thank you Luke."

He simply hums a response but it's enough to give me butterflies. He is the sweetest person and the fact that he can give me butterflies over nothing just tells me how much I've fallen for him.

"I love you." I softly whisper as I run my fingers up and down his arm.

I don't get a reply so I just assume he's asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes flutter open and as I realise it's morning. I stretch out and notice that Luke isn't beside me. I just figure that he's making breakfast because that's what he attempts to do every morning. And every morning I wake up, go to the kitchen and stop him from burning the place down. I laugh at that memory as I get out of bed and head towards the kitchen.

"Oh... Hey Liz." I speak slightly surprised at I notice Liz standing in the kitchen and not Luke.

"Morning darl." She gets me with a smile as she butters her toast.

"Where's Luke?" I wonder as I go to pour myself some cereal.

"He left early to go to Ashton's place. The boys landed a gig at a local pub tonight so they're practicing their little brains out." She tells me as she rushes to gather her things up.

"That's really good." I reply with a proud smile.

"Yeah it is. I've got to rush off to work though. I'll see you at their gig tonight." She tells me as she rushes out the door saying goodbye.

I'm left in the silence of the house to eat my breakfast. I notice a note sitting on the bench with my name written on it. Opening it up I see Luke's sloppy hand writing.

"Jessy. Sorry I left this morning before you woke up. I just figured you needed a sleep in. I'll be back later this afternoon around 4pm to pick you up and take you to the gig.

Please don't hate me but I bought you a dress, I was going to give it to you for your birthday but I want you to wear it tonight.

See you tonight you beautiful thing xx"

His last words make me smile like a mad women as I rush through the house and to the guest room I'm staying in the find a beautiful white summer dress laid out on the bed.