chapter 17 • shops

My eyes flutter open as I wonder how much sleep I had last night. It defiantly wasn't much. My eyes feel heavy and my body feels sluggish as I wake up in an unfamiliar room before realising where I am. I climb out of bed and walk through the house, following the noises of pots and pans.

"Hey." I softly speak which startles Luke, making him spin around on his heels almost dropping the eggs.

"Shit, you scared me." He laughs.

"How'd you sleep?" He questions as I look over his shoulder at what he is making.

"I slept well." I lie.

"Do you need a hand?" I question as I notice how flustered he is.

"No, I think I've got it under control." He replies.

"You sure?" I question again.

"Yeah."

"What's that burning smell." He adds as he looks around the kitchen.

"You've burnt the toast." I giggle as I pop the toast.

"Oh, sorry. I can cook some more." He speaks sounding rushed and confused.

"It's ok, I can do it. You just focus on the eggs and bacon." I tell him as I put two fresh cuts of bread into the toaster.

"Thanks." He gratefully answers.

"No problem."

"Are you cooking this for your parents?" I question as I think of how it's such a sweet gesture.

"No, they've already left for work. I'm cooking it for you." He tells me.

"You didn't have to." I reply.

"I wanted to though." He says as he turns off the stovetop and serves up our breakfast.

"Thank you, I appreciate it." I thank him as he gives me a smile in return.

We take a seat and I start eating as Luke pours us both a glass of orange juice.

"Um...If it's ok with you. I kind of organised for the boys to come over this morning for band practice but if you don't want them to we can just go to Michael's instead." Luke finally speaks up, seeming nervous.

"You don't need to ask me for permission Luke, it's your house you can do whatever you want." I tell him, feeling bad that he feels as if he needs to ask me for permission to do anything.

"So does that mean it's ok?" He asks.

"Yes, of course it's ok." I answer him before I continue eating.

"Thank you." He thanks me with a sigh of relief.

"Is there anything you'd like to do after we finish band practice?" He adds.

"Maybe we could go get some cloths, considering I don't have any...or I could just get some from Ryan's house, save you buying me anything because I don't have any money either." I suggest, feeling like a burden.

"We will go shopping." Luke smiles sweetly.

"Ok, well I might go have a shower before your band gets here. Can I please borrow some fresh cloths?" I ask Luke.

"Yeah. I'll get some for you right now." He replies before getting up and scurrying towards his bedroom as I follow behind.

"What do you want to wear?" He questions as he digs through his cupboard.

"Something comfortable." I reply as I sit on the edge of his bed.

He pulls out a blue flannelette shirt and a pair of black tracksuit pants which I take and head to the bathroom. I lock the bathroom door and turn the shower on.

"Shit." I curse to myself as I notice a tiny spot on my pants.

I've got my period and I have nothing to use and no money to buy anything. I stand under the water and wash myself down as I try to think of something...anything. My eye catches the draws under the sink and that's when I remember. Liz. I dig through the draws praying that she will have some pads. I open the final draw and find a packet of opened tampons and sigh. I've never used them before but I guess they will have to do. I take only one, incase she notices, not that she will care it's just that I will be even more embarrassed if she finds out.

I turn off the water and pull on the cloths Luke gave me before taking a deep breath and walking back to the kitchen to find Luke.

"Luke?" I hesitate to ask.

"Yeah."

"Can we please go shopping?" I nervously ask as I fiddle with the buttons on the flannel I'm wearing.

"Yeah, I said we could go this afternoon." He answers with a smile.

"I kind of need to go this morning." I speak up.

"I've got band practice this morning, the boys are already on their way over here. You know I'd take you if I could." He replies which only makes me more anxious.

"Luke please.." I practically beg as tears flood to my eyes from embarrassment.

"Jessy what's wrong?" He questions as he rushes over to me and places his hands on my shoulders to see if I'm ok.

I take a deep breath before finally speaking up.

"I have my..my period." I stutter out as I watch Luke swallow hard, he's clearly just as embarrassed as I am.

"Oh...umm.. Well I'll just call the boys and tell them to let themselves in." He tells me as a rush of relief flows through my body.

"Thank you so much." I whisper.

He reaches for his phone and dials 3 different numbers, each time explaining that his Mum asked him at the last minute to go pick something up for her at the shops and that they're to just let themselves in because we shouldn't be too long.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Thank you for lying for me to your best friends." I thank Luke as we drive towards the shops.

"It's no problem." He answers as we pull up outside a Big W store.

"Umm.. Here's some money. I can come in if you want." Luke awkwardly speaks up as he hands me a $50 note.

"It's ok, I've got it." I reply, not wanting to cause him any more awkwardness.

I get out of the car and walk towards the store. I take a shopping basket and walk towards the female hygiene aisle. I pick up 2 packets of pads and check the prices. I still have $31 left so I walk towards the clothing section and buy a bra and two pairs of underwear since I literally arrived at Luke's house with nothing.

At the checkout I hear the sound of a camera behind me and turn around to see a man dressed in black standing in an aisle looking down at his phone.

"That will be $48.50." The checkout girl tells me as I turn back around to face her.

I hand her the money and she hands me the change, I grab my shopping bag and head back to the car. On my way back I feel as if I'm being followed but just quicken my pace. I close the car door and look ahead only to notice the same guy, dressed in black that was standing in the shopping centre before.

It freaks me out but I don't tell Luke because I know he will start worrying and stressing out over something that is probably nothing.

"I hope you don't mind but I bought some other stuff." I speak up as Luke merges back into the traffic.

"All good. What did you buy?" He asks as he tries to peek into the shopping bag.

"Umm..a bra and underwear." I awkwardly tell him.

"Oh..." He replies as I watch his checks flush red.

___________________

LIFE IS SO CRUEL.... ALL I WANNA DO IS STAY IN MY ROOM AND WRITE FANFICS BUT SCHOOL WONT LET ME
____________________