Chapter Three

I'm driving on the highway, wind blowing through my hair, on the way to meet my friend Nevaeh. We hang out almost every morning at Starbucks.

Now, I know what you're thinking. Didn't I just have coffee, like, twenty minutes ago? Yes, yes I did. But that won't stop me from ordering the new cotton candy latte. It just came out and I'm obsessed with it!

When I get to Starbucks, Nevaeh is already sitting in our usual spot, waiting for me. I go inside and place my order at the counter, then head on over to the corner booth. "Hey," I say, sliding into the seat across from my friend.

She looks up from a book she's reading. "Oh, you're here. Finally!"

"Sorry, have you been here for awhile?" I ask.

"No, you're fine," Nevaeh assures me, waving off my worries. "I was kidding. I've only been here five minutes."

"Oh." I sigh with relief. I hate to keep my friends waiting! "So what's up?"

"Just reading this new book I got at the library."

"What's it called?"

"Paper Towns. It's by John Green."

"Oh, I've heard of that."

John Green is Nevaeh's favorite author. He wrote The Fault in Our Stars, which became "the best love story since The Notebook," according to movie ratings. Nevaeh would give anything to meet him, or get a signed copy of one of his books.

"It's so good!" she gushes. "I just love it!"

I laugh. Nevaeh is obsessed with books the same way I'm obsessed with coffee.

"What's new with you?" she asks.

"Well, the wedding's in three weeks-"

"Yay!"

"So I've been doing a lot of planning," I finish.

"I can't wait to wear my dress and walk down the aisle with Ben!"

Ben is Nathan's best friend and best man in our wedding. Nevaeh is my maid of honor.

"I know, I can't wait either. It's going to be perfect!"

"Well, duh. It's you and Nathan! You guys were like...a match made in heaven."

"Thanks," I say, giggling.

"I hope I can find someone like him," Nevaeh says wistfully.

"How about Ben?" I suggest with a wink.

"Oh, gosh, no. We're just friends. I mean, he's Nathan's best friend-"

"Which makes him perfect boyfriend material for you!" I interrupt. "Come on. Don't you think you'd be great together?"

"Well..."

"It's okay. You don't have to like him; it was just a suggestion."

"Thanks. But he is pretty cute, don't ya think?"

We both squeal. "Oh, I am totally gonna make this happen!" I exclaim.

- - -

Later, I'm crawling into bed with my phone. I check Instagram (I hadn't been on in 19 hours, apparently), and post a selfie I took with Nevaeh this morning. I caption it "Starbucks with my fave."

Then I get on Facebook. Brandon has posted a picture of Patton, his new dog. It's pretty cute. But it reminds me again of my past. And I was doing such a good job avoiding it too!

- - -

I had to tell Brandon. Even if he broke up with me, I thought he should know.

So the next chance I got, I told him about the baby. We were at school, and it was almost over for the day. I found a spot at the gazebo outside, where no one else would be able to hear us. Then I told him. "I'm pregnant."

The color drained from his face. Then he took a deep breath. Finally, he answered. "Okay."

"That's all you're going to say?" I asked.

"Well, no. I'm just trying to let it sink in. But I want you to know that I'm going to stick with you. I'm not just gonna leave you because some idiot got you pregnant."

I blinked back tears of joy. "I can't tell you how much that means to me, Brandon."

"You don't have to. A friendly kiss should do the trick." He winked.

"Now don't go getting a big head," I said jokingly, but I kissed him anyway.

- - -

Brandon had been a good boyfriend. At least that's what I thought, until he turned on me. But that's something I'd rather not think about right now. Don't worry, though. I'm sure it'll come back to haunt me sometime soon.