Chapter Ten

My parents take Nathan and I to Mobil on the Run for 50-cent drinks the next day. I fill my 32-ounce cup with crushed ice and Dr. Pepper, then snap on the lid and poke a straw through the hole.

After we pay, I take a long sip of my drink. Mmm, Dr. Pepper! Nothing like it.

"What do you wanna do now?" my mom asks as we get back in the car.

"Well Nathan's never been to the Arch," I tell her. "Maybe we could go there?"

"That's a great idea! You can't visit St. Louis without going to the Arch!" she exclaims.

So we drive to Downtown St. Louis and get in line for the Arch. It's a Monday, so there aren't many people there. We get in quickly.

It's a tight fit with four people, but we all get in to one little cubicle and ride up to the top. It doesn't take very long to get there.

"Whoa," Nathan breathes. "We're so high up."

"What? Don't tell me you're afraid of heights!" I tease him.

"Well..."

"Oh my gosh, are you really?"

"Yeah," he admits sheepishly.

For some reason, that makes me laugh hysterically. How can a 20-year-old guy be afraid of heights?

My mom whips out her camera. "Scooch in close," she tells us, which isn't really necessary since we're already squeezed in pretty tight. "Say cheese!"

We all smile and say "cheese" as she captures the photo of Nathan, my dad, and me.

"Can I see it?" I ask, and she shows me the picture.

I like it. Even without my mom in the photo, we look like a family.

Finally, the cubicle starts to move downwards. "Finally," Nathan mutters under his breath.

"Did you like it, Nathan?" my mom asks when we get out.

"Um, it was okay. I mean, it was cool, but-"

"He's afraid of heights," I interrupt.

Nathan blushes profusely, which makes me giggle.

My dad yawns and says, "Gosh, I'm tired. Why don't we head home and take a nap?"

"Oh, alright," my mom agrees. "I'll drive."

"Thanks, hun."

So we get back in the car and start the journey home, with my mom in the driver's seat.

"What do you think of St. Louis, Nathan?" she asks.

"It's a lot different than Maine, that's for sure," he replies.

"Could you see yourself living here someday?"

"Mom," I say firmly.

"Sorry. I just miss you, is all."

"That's okay, Mrs. Hart, I understand. We actually have an apartment picked out in Maine, though."

"Oh." I can tell my mom is disappointed, but she tries not to show it. "I'm sure it's a lovely place."

"Oh yeah. Two bedrooms, and a fireplace in the living room," Nathan tells her.

They talk more about the apartment and I just sit and listen, enjoying the sounds of their voices and the close bond they're forming. It's fun to watch, and it all makes the wedding even more exciting.

The wedding, by the way, is in six days. Less than a week away! In just six short days, I'll be Mrs. Nathan Dye.

- - -