Chapter Eight

I spend the next day alone with my parents. It's Saturday, and we're going garage-saling, then having a big brunch and heading out to see a movie.

It's been nice to catch up with them. As soon as I got home, they welcomed me with hugs and kisses. My dad wanted to hear all about college, and my mom wanted to know all about my wedding plans. I spent my first day here talking with my mom about Nathan and the upcoming wedding. Then I spoke with them both about my sophomore year in college that night at dinner.

My mom took me to the mall for a girl's day on Friday, and then my dad and I went out to dinner. I told him more about college, and the friends I'd made. We even talked about Nathan, and it was easy. Definitely not as awkward as I'd expected it to be.

On Saturday, Nathan arrived and met my parents for the third time in his life. The first had been when he picked me up for our very first date. We were high school seniors then, about to graduate. And since we were going to the same college in Maine, they didn't get a chance to meet him until freshman graduation. I'm kinda surprised they didn't see more of him, but then again, we rarely hung out at my house.

Anyway, they treated him like their own son when they saw him again. My dad shook his hand and patted him on the back with a kind smile. My mom hugged him and called him "sweetie." They spent the day getting to know him, and then Nathan and I went to Red Lobster, as you know.

So now you're up to speed.

My parents and I leave the house at 7am, and head out to find some deals! I've always loved garage-saling. It's different for everyone in my family. My dad likes it because he can force us to listen to the "classics." (Since he's the driver, he gets to control the radio.) My mom likes it for the treasures she finds. And me? I like it for the company, and the closeness I feel with my parents when we spend time together. It's always a fun experience. I've missed it since I've moved up north. In St. Louis, garage sales are a big thing; but you don't see a lot of them in Maine.

At the end of our outing, we've found tons of great stuff! Shoes, clothes, a valuable grandfather clock (which my dad has to pick up later in the truck), puzzles, dishes-you name it! Definitely one of our best trips yet.

Once we've unloaded everything into the garage, I help my mom make brunch. We're having bacon and eggs, waffles, toast, and sausage. It takes forever to make, and I'm starving, so I steal a couple pieces of bacon when my mom isn't looking. I may be twenty, but that doesn't mean I can resist the temptation of some crispy bacon!

As we sit down to eat, my dad asks if I'll say the blessing. "Sure," I say.

"Dear God, thank you for this lovely meal we've prepared. Thank you for my mom and dad, and that I'm getting to spend so much time with them. Thank you for the beautiful weather you gave us so we could go garage-saling. Help us to be kind to each other and allow us to have good conversations. Thank you that I get to spend the day with my parents. Please bless this food, cuz it looks oh-so-good!"

My parents laugh, and together we say, "Amen." Now it's time to dig in!

The food is just as delicious as it looks. Everything tastes amazing, and I'm kinda sad when it's all gone.

After helping my mom wash the dishes, I go to the bathroom to freshen up. I always wear sweats when we go garage-saling, and I haven't been able to shower or anything this morning. So I take off my smelly clothes and toss them in the hamper, then turn the water on and step inside the shower.

I notice my legs look a little prickly. I'll have to shave them. Sighing, I pick up my razor and begin the process.

As always, it reminds me of my days as a depressed teenager. Why must these awful memories always ruin my good mood?

- - -

After talking to Ashley, I found someone sober enough to drive me home. I vaguely recognized the person, but I didn't really care if I knew them or not. I just wanted to get home.

The guy flirted with me on the way to my house, but I knew well enough not to flirt back. I wasn't going to betray Brandon.

The guy, whose name turned out to be Greg, dropped me off, and I hurried in through the back door. I closed it quietly and tiptoed to my room. It was about three in the morning. My parents hadn't woken up, and I returned to my room without making any noise.

I sat down on my bed and thought about everything that had just happened. I'd drank a lot of beer, and was still feeling a bit light-headed. I wanted a drink of water but I wasn't about to sneak out to the kitchen and get something. Better to stay in my room and let my parents sleep.

I wondered how I would get the iPod to Ashley. I didn't know where she lived, or rather, where she was dwelling. She didn't live with her parents anymore, so I supposed she kind of just wandered the streets. I decided I'd ask around school and see if anyone knew her.

So the next day at lunch, I sat with Cassie and asked if she knew the girl.

"I've heard of her. She goes to the school across town. My brother knows her boyfriend."

"Ex-boyfriend now, I think."

"You met her?"

"Yeah. We hung out at the party." While you were busy getting it on with a senior, I added mentally.

"Ah. Sorry I disappeared. I didn't mean to leave you all alone."

"It's ok. Besides, I wasn't alone, remember?"

"Right. How'd you get home?"

"Greg Stevens drove me."

"Greg Stevens?! He didn't try to...do anything, did he?"

"No, why?"

"He has a reputation. I'm warning you, don't get involved."

"Uh, I have Brandon, remember? I wasn't looking to get involved with anyone."

"I know, I know. It's just that Greg can be...perverted. Let's say that."

"Yeah," I agreed, even though I didn't really know him. I just wanted to end the conversation. Why did everyone suddenly think I didn't love Brandon anymore?

- - -

I'm done shaving, and the memories stop. Finally. I don't know how much more of this I can take!

I get out of the shower and dry off, then head to my room to get dressed. At last, my parents and I leave for the movie theater.