Chapter Fifteen

A/N: I'm sorry if all the "preaching" in the previous chapters offended you in any way. If you don't agree with something I wrote, please message me about it instead of being a hater and commenting your opinions. Thanks in advance!😊

- - -

"I can't believe the wedding is in three days!" Nevaeh squeals.

We're at Starbucks (as always), discussing the past week.

"I know, right? It's kind of hard to believe I'll be someone's wife in three days," I agree.

"Speaking of Nathan, did your parents like him?"

"Yeah, I think so. They seemed to enjoy having him around," I reply honestly. It feels good to be able to say that. I'm so glad my parents like him.

"That's good," Nevaeh says. "What'd you do down there?"

"Lots of stuff. Movies, the Arch, a baseball game, the mall..."

"Oh, wow. Sounds like fun."

"It was. And how was your week?" I'm dying to know if she went out with Ben while I was away!

"Boring," she says, and I have to admit I'm disappointed. "I didn't do much."

"Oh."

"But the strangest thing happened..."

My face breaks out into a smile and I ask, "What?!"

"Ben said he has a surprise for me."

"What is it?"

"I don't know, he hasn't told me yet. I'm dying to find out!" Nevaeh exclaims.

"What do you think it could be?"

"Hmm...I don't know. He hadn't really hinted at anything before that."

"Well how'd it happen?"

We spend the next hour talking about Ben and the surprise. What could it be? I hope he's gonna tell her that he likes her!

I glance over at the corner booth of Starbucks. It's empty. This isn't the one where I met Clara, but it still reminds me of her sometimes.

- - -

I came back the next day too. I just had to find out more about this 'God!'

Clara was sitting in her usual spot. It had become a sort of hangout for us. Even though she was in her eighties and I was fifteen, we connected in a way that was both special and surprising.

That day, she told me more about the story of Jesus' crucifixion. She explained again how much he loved me and wanted to have a relationship with me.

"How can I have a relationship with someone I can't even see?" I asked, confused.

"All you have to do is believe in Him. Then He'll save you, and come into your heart. Do you believe, Mackenzie?"

I bit my lip, trying to decide if I could say yes to that question. Did I really believe all that she was telling me? Was it possible that there was a Savior out there, waiting for me to accept him? And could someone really love me as much as she said he did?

It took me a week to finally believe. I think what pushed me to accept Christ was when Clara had a sudden heart attack at her house. She was rushed to the hospital, and I came as soon as I heard about the accident. I didn't know if she would survive, but I hoped to God that she would.

That's when I found myself praying for the first time in my life. I asked God to save Clara, and let her survive the heart attack. I prayed for hours, and repented of all my sins, if only he could save the poor old lady. After two full hours of praying and sobbing, the doctor approached me and told me that Clara was going to be just fine.

It was a miracle.

- - -

I smile as the memory leaves.

"What are you smiling about?" Nevaeh asks.

"Hm? Oh, nothing."

"Really? Did you hear anything I just said?" She raises an eyebrow questioningly.

"Umm...something about Ben?"

She laughs. "I was talking about my bridesmaid dress!"

"Oh, sorry. I guess I zoned out there for a second." I really do feel bad for ignoring her. But at least this time it was a good memory.