Chapter 12

Mei's POV:

When I woke up we were infront of the executioner blade that Zabuza held for the longest time. Sasuke stood still holding me as Suigetsu talked to the blade before grabbing its handle.

"What are we doing after this?" I asked softly not fully awake. A breeze blew by and I leaned into Sasuke's warm chest.

"We are going to get our healer, Karin." Sasuke replied in a simply monotone. There was a whine and I looked over at Suigetsu who looked like a wounded puppy.

"Do we have to??? She's annoying." He whined like a child. And instead of giving him an answer Sasuke simply turned around and proceeded to move to this Karin person's location.

Sasuke's grip tightened on me as I shifted a little in his arms. I peaked through my lashes up at him face before sighing. He wasn't planning on putting me down anytime soon. I snuggled into his chest and hummed the lullaby I heard as a child.

A ghost of a smile graced Sasuke's features as he listened intently to my humming. There were no words to the lullaby. It was only a short little repeated haunting melody that became almost peaceful. Before I knew it I had hummed myself to sleep again while gripping tightly to Sasuke's white jacket.

Sasuke's POV:

Why can't I bring myself to let her out of my grip? She may be beautiful, caring and highly intelligent but I can't get attached.

I can't have a bond as deep as that of love when my revenge is drawing nearer. She will end up slowing me down later. She will be a road block between my strength and Itachi's.

But...

But I can't seem to even allow her to walk on her own. And the thought of letting her out of my arms let alone sight causes an ache deep in my chest.

Why have I fallen from that famous Uchiha stoic stature I once held?

Since that day she talked to me in her room my thoughts have floated to her words. They were so full of wisdom it was almost as if she held the key to the world's knowledge.

How can I separate myself from her to become stronger? It was so easy with those people from the leaf. I didn't have to think twice then. Yet here I am nearly fawning over this girl whose father I killed.

Shaking my head and focused on the path to Karin. The sooner we have her the better. Maybe she will be the tool to distance myself from Mei.

Suigetsu kept gabbing and whining with nearly every step and I allowed my mind to wander toward how to separate Mei and myself.

____________________________
I know I have been gone for a long time. A lot of stuff has happened and I know this is short but I hope it'll pick up here soon.