Chapter 17

In the end, I made Macey go home and I stayed in the cave. When morning came I finally headed home and got a promt scolding, my Aunt crying as she shook me around screaming, "Where have you been?!"

My Aunt then after sent me to my room, with the excuse that my lips were blue from the cold and I needed to sleep. I layed down on my bed and closed my eyes.

Guess I have an excuse not to show up for school today...

I let out a relieved sigh and relaxed into the cushion. The next thing I knew there was a knock on my door and I was jolted awake as Macey called, "You have a visitor, Kayson."

I frowned but, soon realization struck me and I ran to the door, putting my ear next to it as I listened.

"Yeah, he's here... Kayson slept outside last night so he may be a little tired though..."

"Why did he sleep outside...?"

My breath caught at the beautiful but, dreaded voice on the other side of the door. I locked my door and heard both people on the other side turn towards the door.

"Kayson?" Macey knocked on my door. "Open up. Kyle wants to talk."

"Tell him he needs to worry about his sister and leave me alone!" I informed nervously.

I heard her sigh and go back to talking to Kyle. "Sorry... He told me that he um..." She tried to find the right words and he said, "Yeah... He did... I don't know why he's acting like this though..."

"Did you tell him no or something...?" Macey asked.

"No...! I feel the same...!"

I frowned at their conversation and turned away, hoping to block them out so I wouldn't have to hear them. I grabbed a book off my shelf and layed down on my stomach to read.

Unfortunately, after a few minutes, I could still hear them and I grew agitated. I stormed over to the door and opened it just an inch. "Go away!" I hissed before slamming the door closed once again.

My heart was racing just from seeing his face and I had to squeeze my eyes closed to not throw up from nerves.

"Give us a minute..." I heard Kyle say and then I heard retreating footsteps.

There was a light knock on my door and Kyle's voice drifted in. "Kayson...? Can I come in, please?"

"No!" I replied quickly.

There was a brushing noise on the other side of the door and I heard him leaned on it. "I'm really sorry... " He said softly. "But, I have to talk to you..."

I swallowed and shook my head. I wouldn't open the door. I wasn't ready and I wouldn't be able to deal with it. When I didn't say anything I heard him sigh. "I get it... I'll leave you alone."

My throat grew tight as I heard him walking away and, by reflex, I swung the door open. I stood there staring at the ground, my face a dark crimson as he stared at me. I felt like puking. "J-... Just for a minute!"

He smiled lightly and entered my bedroom, standing by my window. I left the door a jar so that if I needed to bolt I had the opportunity and went to another corner of my room. "What do you want?" I asked as confidently as I could.

He looked regretful and looked me in the eye. "I don't know why but, I obviously upset you. I didn't mean to..." He looked down. "But, I won't push you. If you don't want to be with me then you don't have to."

I felt guilty and I clenched and unclenched my hands. "Its... It's not that." I said quietly.

He frowned and stepped towards me. "Then what is it?"

It took every cell in my brain a screaming, painful battle not to move. Kyle seemed to notice this and back up again. "Sorry..." He mumbled.

I swallowed a tight knot in my throat and took a deep breath. "I have some... bad experiences. I don't think you're the same but, I still don't..." I had to pause as my voice cracked. "Don't want to feel the same way I did at that time."

He looked down. "Oh..." He said, an obvious hurt expression on his face.

I struggled to explain. "I really don't mean you're the same! I just mean-"

"I get it." He said, cutting me off.

I looked up, expecting him to look angry but... he didn't. He was smiling. "I won't force you. But, I will ask you something."

I nearly melted by the heat of his beautiful smile and warily asked, "Wh-what?"

His smiled bacame even more sincere and he nelt down like a prince. "Can I prove myself?"

I blushed a bright red at his pose and had to bit my tongue to keep my head from running away into dreamland. "How...?"

"I want to take you on a date."

My heart skipped a beat, tripped over itself and then limped along the rest of the way, praying it wouldn't stop and die right then and there.

I shook my head. "Absolutely not!" I sputtered. His face dropped and I muttered, "Not until you get out of that ridiculous position..."

His smile reappear and he stood up. I glared at him. "And stop smiling! I'm going to die from radiation poisoning!"

He chuckled and walked closer to me. "So? Where does my lady want to go for dinner?"

I swallowed as he towered me and took my hands. I could barely think as I said, "Sh-shouldn't you be in school?"

My hands were brought up to his lips and he gave them small kisses. "Shouldn't you?"

I felt like my face was in a furnace and I yanked my hands away, my eyes going to stare at the floor. "Yes! So, go away or I can't get ready!"

He chuckled deeply and kissed my forehead. "Alright. I'll see you at school."

I didn't move until my bedroom door was completely closed. Then I dropped to the floor and held my face. "Kayson, you idiot!" I practically shouted.

*******

(Kyle's POV)

I left his room, closing the door behind me. I heard him shout at himself and I held in a laugh as I walked down the stairs. Macey hurried to me. "So?! What happened?!"

I couldn't hide my excitement and smiled. "He said yes."

She squealed with happiness and jumped up and down. "I'm so glad!"

I was too. I had wanted this from the second I made friends with the boy. I noticed him when we entered highschool and I knew him immediately as the boy from the police office. I didn't think I'd ever see him again but, there he was. Right in front of me. I'd kept an eye on him ever since. I wouldn't let anyone touch him.

Then that day came. I saw him with my sister, bruising all over her body and my mind went blank. I didn't even think before I had swung the punch.

Go figure, I'd punched the kid who'd I'd been crushing on since the beginning of preschool. I was so mad, thinking he'd been a jerk this whole time, that the next time I talk to him I pretended like he was a complete stranger. Like I didn't know who he was at all.

Then, once everything was explained, I felt so guilty. I insisted we become friends and having our sisters being friends helped moved things along as well.

I didn't think he would ever feel the way I felt so I kept it as friends. I'd rather be his friend then to lose him all together.

My mind flitted over yesterday's confession and I bit my thumb to keep from smiling like an idiot. I was so happy.

*******

Hey everyone! This story is NOT coming anywhere near it's end so don't worry. He's just getting closer to winning Kayson. There is still a big ending coming. Hope you enjoyed this chapter! AS ALWAYS VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW AND STAY AWESOME!

-Nekoco