Chapter Three: Runaway Alpha

I stood there in a complete daze unable to look away from him. This was something I hadn't been excepting and to say I was surprised was an understatement. He tightened his grip on my hand for a moment which brought me screaming back into reality and I quickly wretched my hand free from his as if his touch had burned me. He let out a low growl and took a menacing step forward clearly upset by my reaction to him and our bond. My heart was thundering in my chest as I fought the desire to run away and the desire to run into his arms. He looked down at me with such a threatening gaze and his wolf's energy was actually causing mine to cower slightly under it's weight.

"Alpha—" Valerie spoke up with a tone of wariness. I'm sure she could sense that he was on the verge of losing control of himself. Thankfully, that seemed to snap him out of his wolf driven behavior. His eyes regained their original green color and his lips curved down into a deep frown as he turned his attention from me. I let out a ragged breath that I hadn't even realized I had been holding, and placed a shaky hand to my chest as if I could somehow steady the rapid beat of my heart. My wolf howled at the loss of our mates attention but I couldn't have been happier.

"Alpha, are you alright?" Valerie questioned with some confusion. I stared at his back noticing that his muscles were tense, "I told you to stop calling me that Val." He growled in frustration evading her question as he lifted his hand and ran it through his hair, tugging at it a bit. The room was eerily quiet and I wasn't sure why he would be so upset by someone calling him by his title. Perhaps I misunderstood, the pack did seem a little unconventional in its ways.

"Silver..." Marshall was the one to break the silence, "Where have you been?" I could hear the concern his pack mates voice.

"Around..." My mate who I now knew went by the name Silver, responded. I peered around him to see the scowling faces of his pack mates. Marshall clenched his hands into tight fists at his side, "Around? You've been gone for a month—What if something had happened to us? Don't you care at all?"

Silver let out a low growl that rumbled through the room, "I don't have to answer to you pup. I didn't ask to be anyones Alpha and I don't plan on being anyones Alpha. I told you that you're all welcome to stay or leave, it's your choice. It doesn't matter or concern me." I felt a wave of shock run through me at his words. They were so cruel and cold—and it made a strange ache burn in my chest. How could he say something like that to his pack? Whether he wanted them or not, they clearly had chosen him and it was his duty to protect and lead them. 

Marshall took a step forward with his chest puffing out clearly upset by Silver's declaration. I could sense the tension filling the air as the two of them stared off with each other. Valerie eased herself forward moving between the two males, "Stand down Marshall." Her tone was firm and unwavering. He turned his gaze to her and glared at her but after a moment he let out a snort before casting his gaze toward the floor in a submissive show of obedience.

Valerie turned her attention to Silver her gaze softening as she looked at him. I could see that she was speaking to him without actually speaking. A part of me didn't like the way she was looking at him and I held back the urge to growl at her. He seemed to relax slightly under her gaze which made my jealousy burn even hotter.

MINE, my wolf growled darkly in my mind. I clenched my hands into fists at my sides digging my nails into my palms to keep myself in control of the strange new possessive urges rolling through me.

Silver let out a loud sigh, "I'm going for a run—I need to blow off some steam, clearly..." He announces to everyone in the room with a sudden urgency. He makes his way towards the door with quick strides he paused in the archway of the door and looked back over his shoulder toward me. Valerie took a hesitant step forward, "You're going to come back, right?" She asked in a vulnerable voice I hadn't suspected she was capable of. His forest green gaze colliding against my stormy grey one with longing curiosity, "Yeah—I'll be back." He didn't speak anything else after that he just turned and disappeared as if he has only been a figment of my imagination. My wolf was less than pleased by his disappearing act and I could feel her scratching underneath the surface prompting me to follow after him.