Chapter Twenty-Nine: All's Quiet on The Western Front

I wasn't thrilled by the fact that I was following Silver and Lennicks through the darkened corridors in only a thin t-shirt but it's not like I could shift into my wolf form without drawing more attention to us. My skin itched with awareness as we passed guards making there were making there way to there evening posts. Silver threw a quick glance over his shoulder at me as if to reassure himself that I was still right behind him. I moved closer to him when I noticed a couple of guards looking in my direction.

Silver must have noticed my uneasiness with our current situation cause he slowed his pace and fell into step behind me so that I was now sandwiched between himself and his brother. I had to admit that I was pleased at his willingness to do everything in his power to protect even though I could take care of myself. Lennicks turned us down another corridor that had us moving away from the heart of the house. I kept my eyes scanning our surrounding, not trusting the king to not predict Silvers desire to save me or the other from his wrath.

Lennicks slowed his pace, "The door to our left leads out to the western garden. The sewage tunnel runs underneath it, I imagine that Valerie plans to use that as her means of escape for your friends." He whispers back to me. I peer over my shoulder to Silver for confirmation of this and find him glaring at Lennicks. Lennicks scoffs, "You're so predictable brother—"

I felt Silver move behind me probably to attack his brother but I pressed myself into him hold him back, "You can kill him later, but right now we need him. I'd personally really like to get everyone out of here in one piece." Silver let out a frustrated growl but pulled back. I focused my gaze on Lennicks expectantly, "Well get moving before I let him have at you..."

Lennicks grumbled under his breath as moved forward several more feet and opened the door, cool evening air wafting in. My skin broke out in gooseflesh and I shivered involuntarily, reminded once again of my scantily clad body. I sucked in a breath as I moved through the open door and into the outdoors. My wolf rushed forward as my eyes roamed quickly over the finely trimmed bushes. I keep my body tensed and ready for anything as I moved deeper into the garden grounds. Silver came up beside me and grabbed my hand in his. I looked towards him with a questioning glance.

"I just need to be close to you right now." He mumbled in a strained tone as if waiting for me pulled away from him. I didn't argue with him knowing that he clearly was stressed and his instinct to make sure I was protected was driving him. I did my best to ignore the feeling of Silvers hand in mine . I tried listened carefully to the world around us but I didn't pick up anything unusual, all I could here was the croaks of frogs and the chirps of crickets. 

 Lennicks moved quickly past us bumping my shoulder as he went, which earned him a warning growl from Silver, "This way love birds." He motions for us to follow him with his hand. He didn't seem to concerned about a possible attack which had me relaxing slightly. We followed him through the garden ground towards the far western corner that seemed to be less maintained then the other parts. It had a strange eerie feeling to it, as the branches of the bushes reached up towards the sky in a twisted and mangled mess. 

"Silver help me with this." Lennicks calls out and Silver reluctantly releases his hold on my hand and moves towards his brother. I can't see what they are doing at first but as I moved closer I saw them hoisting up a metal grate from the ground. I heard the sound of rushing water and the scent of fecal matter rushed to nose making me take a step back in disgust. 

"Took you long enough to get here!" Valerie growled as Silver and Lennicks hoisted her up out of the hole in the ground. Her eyes fell to me for a brief moment before she turned her back to me. Obviously she still didn't like me all that much, but it didn't bother me any. As long as she helped to keep Silver and his pack safe, that's all that mattered to me. One by one they lifted the others out of the ground. I took in there ragged appearances but was happy to find that for the most part they were unharmed. Marshall was the last one out of the hole and he was the worst looking one out of the bunch.