Bonus Chapter: The Banished Prince

Marshall P.O.V

 I sat at the edge of the forest staring off into the distance. My face still stinging from the slap I had received for something my brother had done. I let out an angry sigh wishing that I could just disappear for a while. I heard the sound of light footsteps before someone sat down beside me, "It's a beautiful sight isn't it?" A deep voice questioned me gently. I turned my face to find the pack hermit Declan sitting beside me. I shrugged my shoulders before looking away from him, "I wish I could stay out here forever." I mumble as I play with some grass.

"Don't you think you'd miss your family after a while? Don't you think they'd miss you?" He asked me with curiosity. I plucked the grass from the ground with a frown before tossing it, "No! I wouldn't miss them at all. They hate me and wish I was dead—" I feel angry tears building in my eyes again. A heavy hand falls to my shoulder and I turn my attention back to the man beside me. He is looking down at me with eyes of sadness and it makes a lump form in my throat, "Maybe they just don't understand you Marshall—it won't be this way forever. Someday you'll grow up and you'll find yourself surrounded by people who love and care about you." He gives my shoulder a gentle squeeze.

"You know who I am?" I blinked up at him with surprise. I didn't know anyone knew who I was—our pack was pretty large, it was easy to get lost in the crowd. The man's gaze softened and a small smile appeared on his lips, "Of course I know who you are. You are very special Marshall—don't ever let anyone make you feel differently." He lifted his hand from my shoulder and ruffled my hair playfully. I pushed his hand way which caused him to release a warm chuckle before he pulled himself up off the ground and started to walk off towards the forest.

"Wait!" I called out as I watched him to go suddenly wishing that he would stay with me a little longer. He looked back over his shoulder at me and I lowered my chin towards my chest nervous to meet his suddenly piercing gaze, "Do you think maybe we could talk again?" Even though I talked softly I knew he heard me.

"We'll talk again soon kid. I know where to find you." He smirked before turning away and disappearing into the forest. 

We did talk again, many times through out my younger years. Whenever things seemed to difficult at home or I was confused, somehow Declan seemed to know and would appear to calm the storm. He became a cherished friend and mentor to me as I got older. Everyone seemed to be wary of him as if he was some kind of monster waiting to drag them off and rip them to shreds. I knew though that he would never hurt anyone unless he had too. There was times I would catch him staring off with a look of longing and sadness. I wondered maybe if he'd had a family that hated him like mine did and that why he looked so sad or if maybe he'd lost something important. 

I raced through the woods my wolf enjoying the freedom. It had been a long week full of challenges for the Beta rank but in the end I had won fair and square. I threw my head back and let out an excited howl towards the moon above. A moment later I heard a returned howl that made me let my tongue hang out in a wolfish grin. I hurried my speed towards Declan's place knowing he would be waiting to congratulate me on my new title. He had helped me train hard to reach it after all.

It felt like for once everything was turning around. All I needed now was to meet my mate and I'd be running around in the clouds. I made my way out of the woods shifting back into my human form when I spotted Declan's cabin. He was standing on his porch staring up at the sky. I took the sweats he offered me once I was up the short steps, "Beautiful night isn't it?" He asks with a phantom grin.

 "You think every night out here is beautiful old man." I tease as I pull on the sweats and come to stand next to him.  

"I'm not old enough that I can't still kick you butt!" He growls playfully. I shoot him a toothy smile, "I'd like to see you try! I mean you're talking to the future Beta of this pack. I think I can take on one measly hermit." Declan's eyebrows shot up toward the sky and he smiled at me brightly before clapping me on the back with one of his hands, "That's my boy! I knew you'd beat those idiots! You were born to be a leader."