Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Land of Blood and Bone (Part One)

The next morning everything was quiet. The pack moved about the cave preparing for our departure but it seemed as though words were in short supply. Silver had left our space before I had woken up. It hadn't taken me long to track him down. He was talking with our little pack in the main cave about Leo's condition, which hadn't improved much but he was still alive so we were holding onto hope.

"You're going to stay here with Libra and watch over the other pack members that are to wounded to come with us." Marshall explained to Bunny as the remaining pack began to file outside. She gave him a deep frown, "I want to go with you."

He shook his head firmly, "Not this time. You are going to stay here—I need to know you and our pup is safe. I can't have that on my mind while I am out there."

Bunny stared up at him with a fierce fire in her eyes, "You promised me that I would never be alone again as long as you had breath to breathe—you better keep breathing. You promise you'll do everything in your power to come back here for us."I turned away from them feeling a lump rise in my throat at their goodbye. I wanted to believe that everyone would be together again but that wasn't a promise I could make. Lennicks approached our small group with a far away look in his eyes. His body was tense and he looked like he hadn't gotten an ounce of sleep.

The guy might be the ultimate prick but I still felt bad for him. He had been helping us this entire time even if it was because he didn't want to end up like the rest of his family. Also I wanted to believe that maybe deep down inside he was helping because he knew it was the right thing.

Noah walked towards us with a tight expression, "Hello—" He greeted us in his usual short manner. Silver stepped forward to stand closer to me, "Noah..." He inclined his head as a sign of respect. Noah repeated the action, "We are just waiting for the scouts to return. I wanted to tell you the same thing I told my pack member. If for some reason this goes poorly then I want you to evacuate those that are healthy enough and take them to my pack territory." Noah explained to our small pack, though mostly directing the information to Libra and Bunny, "My mate will take you in and give you the protection of my name and pack, as I directed her to do if anything happened."

Silver reached over and grabbed my hand in his, "Thank you." Noah nodded his head before our eyes met for a brief moment. He gave me a quick wink before he turned and walked away to join the others outside.  I didn't want to part with Libra and Bunny but I knew that it was time to go. I released Silver's hand and moved toward them. I pulled them in for a group hug, "I will do everything in my power to make sure we are all together again like Valerie would have wanted." I whispered.

The scouts moved towards our group quickly, calling our attention. Kale stood at the front of the pack wearing a hardened expression. Noah stood with his men slightly to the left of the group. The scouts seemed out of breath, "They are moving this direction pretty quickly. If we do nothing they'll be here within the hour. They also have another pack working along side them."

I gritted my teeth knowing exactly who it was, "That would be my uncle." I did my best to keep the anger from getting the better of me. Kale threw me a look over his shoulder before mulling over what the scout had told him. After a minute he whistled loudly, "Alright—Let's move out. Scouts stay to the back of the pack in case we need to have the remaining pack retreat." 

The sound of bones snapping and cracking filled the small area, as everyone shifted. Once Kale was changed he threw back his head and howled before he darted off into the trees. His pack followed quick on his heels, sticking close together and holding their war formation. Silver turned his head towards me and nipped at my haunches before he took off. I was close on his heels calling on the strength of my wolf to keep speed. Marshall was right behind us while Lennicks passed by Silver and headed up towards alpha Kale.