Chapter 27

"I was about half in love with her by the time we sat down. That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty... you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are." - J. D. Salinger

XXVII.

Seijuro Akashi.

What comes to mind when you hear, read or mention the name?

I know the words that could describe such man is a never ending list.

But for me, there is only one word that could describe him.

"He drugged me!" I whined to my grandfather whilst moving a shogi piece on the board. I let out an exasperated breath and ran my fingers through my messy hair, which was long ruined by the wind blowing every so often. But I cared less about it at the moment.

Grandpa chuckled and shook his head at me as if I have no hope in life. "It's not like he killed you or anything, Rika," He said nonchalantly as he took his turn and shifted his gaze on me. "He only drugged you."

I raised an eyebrow. "That's the point!" I cried out and crossed my arms just as I finished my move. "He drugged me! God, why does he have to do such a thing?"

Grandpa only shrugged. "Who knows?" He smiled as he promoted another pawn. "You know that your boyfriend is clever, Rika. Who knows what's running on his mind."

"He's crazy," I blurted out with a pout and moved the bishop to capture his general.

"Crazy for you." He said while wiggling his eyebrows then he reached out to poke my side just to tease me.

I flinched and gave him a small glare. "Stop it, grandpa," I warned him and sighed. "Anyways, is that a song reference?" I asked him blankly.

"Nope, sweetheart. I'm just enlightening you," He said with a laugh as he glanced at the board and made his next move. "Just keep in mind that he is your boyfriend and he would not do anything nasty to you." He gave me a teasing smile. "Unless you want him to do the nasty with--"

"Grandpa!" I screeched and I feel my face heat up in sheer embarrassment. "You're only making things worse!"

Grandpa laughed at my reaction. "I'm just kidding, Rika, calm down."

I gave him a pout as I made my move on the board. "Yuta-kun will find me," I mumbled instinctively and my eyes widened at the realization. I shifted my worried gaze towards my grandfather who only gave me a smirk in response.

"I don't think so." He disagreed and shook his head.

"I'm still mad at him for what he's done, grandpa, but I don't think that--"

"He won't attempt or even dare think of finding you, Rika." Grandpa emphasized and I was left perplexed at his words.

"B-But why?"

"Hmm," He cleared his throat as he shifted his gaze from afar as if he was deep in thought. "Let's just say that finding you means digging out his own grave." He gave me an innocent smile and made his move. "Rika," He called out.

"What?"

He smirked. "Checkmate."

My eyes widened in bewilderment and looked down at the shogi board. "What?" I exclaimed and frowned at my grandfather. "I'm handicapped, grandpa!" I reasoned out, trying to give justice to my loss.