2- Everything Has Changed

"Ow!" I yelled as my father hit me across the face.

"You stupid piece of garbage!" He yelled as I held my cheek in agony.

"Get out of my face. I don't want to see a low life like you right now," he said storming off.

I walked to my room doing the normal routine that I always did when I was hit.

  I walked to the light switch in my room, and turned it on and off a couple of times. Seconds after a light switch from where his room was switched on and off as well.

I sighed in relief. Since Nate and I lived so far apart, though we were neighbors we used lights to contact when we were in trouble.

I was also put in the situation where I couldn't call him very often, since my parents only wanted the important phone numbers on my phone.

I jumped in shock as the window to my  room flew open. I smiled as Nate walked in. Seeing him always made me feel better.

"What was it this time?" He asked as he sat down beside me and opened the first aid kit.

"He was calling for me and I didn't here him," I said hissing in pain as he put some rubbing alcohol on some cuts.

"It's okay Bea. I'm here now. You don't  have to be afraid."

"I know," I said as he finished most of the bruises.

"Bea, you're pretty smart? Right?" He asked me his eyes never leaving my face.

"I'd like to think so," I joked but quickly stopped once I realized he was being serious.

"Okay. Well there's this friend of mine he's in love with this girl. Has been for awhile. But the girl shows no interest in the boy. What should I-the boy do?" He asked confusion written all over his face.

I thought for a little while. "I think your friend should go for it. Who knows the girl might like him without even knowing," I said getting up and walking to my window.

"You think so?" He asked.

"I know so."

                        *     *     *
"So Bea you wouldn't happen to know if Nate has a girlfriend would you?" Asked one of the cheerleaders. I think her name was Jessica.

"No, he doesn't actually," I said trying to finish my writing for English.

"You guys are like best friends. Does he talk about me?" She asked. I looked to her, and realized she was being serious.

"No actually he doesn't." Now that I think about it. Nate never had a girlfriend. His last girlfriend was in the sixth grade. That was awhile ago.

"Would you mind throwing a good word about me to him?" She asked hopeful.

I shrugged my shoulders telling her maybe. Nate deserved to be happy. I never understood why he never had a girlfriend throughout middle school. Every girl had a huge crush on him.

Even I did. But that was temporary, I knew he only saw me as a friend.

Once the bell rang I hurriedly walked out of the classroom. "Hey Bea!" I turned and found Nate running up to me.

"Hey what's up?" I asked him as we walked to our lockers which Nate says was a coincidence, but I know he must've convinced the school to change his locker.

"Let's go to a party," he said his eyes as serious as they can be.

"Please tell me you're joking around?" I asked him.