Chapter 8: The Biological Weapon

I scream as my Dad lunges over to Josh and crashes into him, pulling him up off the sofa by his shirt. 

"YOU THINK IT'S OK TO DO THAT TO MY DAUGHTER?" my Dad yells at Josh.

"Yes, I do. Because I love her, more than anything," Josh smiles, blood leaking from his mouth as he reasons with my Dad, and a lone tear rolls down my cheek at Joshes words.

"I DON'T CARE! IT'S COMPLETELY IRRESPONSIBLE THE POSITION YOU PUT HER IN!" my dad screams, pushing Josh away from him and towards the floor. Josh smashes into the knives and they make cuts along his tanned skin, a grimace stretching over his face. 

That's all it takes.

I run over to my Dad and fly into him, pinning him against the wall. 

"HOW DARE YOU HURT MY BOYFRIEND!" I scream, "HE'S A GOOD PERSON WHO DID NOTHING TO HURT ME, YOU SHOULD BLAME ME; NOT HIM!" I push my Dad away and walk over to Josh on the floor, tears running down my cheeks.

"Are you ok?" I ask and he nods, gritting his teeth tightly. Blood pools gently on the floor and he groans as I sit him up, "I'm going to get some medical supplies, ok?" I ask and he smiles as I grab a kit.

"I love you, Madeline, I never meant to argue with your Dad," he apologises with a grimace as I press a cloth to the cut on his forehead, I dab it gently and look at it closely. I can feel his eyelashes tickle my neck and I smile.

"It's not your fault Josh," I exclaim and then add, "you're going to need stitches," to which he sighs heavily. I grab the needle and thread and look back at him, he has a pained expression and I smile sympathetically at him.

I gently slide the needle under his skin and through the burning flesh, it comes out the other side and I pull it so the skin tightens together. His face contorts in pain and I wince for him, guilt flooding through me.

"Sorry! Sorry!" I mumble and he just chuckles, trying to distract himself from the pain.

I finish and pull him up with me pressing my lips to his gently, my fingertips gentle on his face.

"I love you," I whisper and walk back over to the others.

I look at my Dad and just shake my head, disappointment heavy in my eyes. I take Ashia into my arms and start to walk towards the door, the others rising awkwardly from their seats. 

"Where are you going?" my Dad asks bitterly and I spin around, anger flooding through me.

"I'm leaving," I say angrily and then wave my hands at Josh in reason, by now the others are stood by my side loyally. The group shift uncomfortably and press towards the door, apart from Sophie who stands frozen. 

"No you're not," my Mum says and I glare at her.

"Why? Are you going to physically stop me? Because there's a lot more of us than you," I laugh sarcastically and raise an eyebrow at her before walking to the door. My hand has just reached the bolt when I hear her voice ring out again, frantic and pleading.

"You blame us for this mess, because we made the virus, right?" she says rhetorically and I turn around folding my arms and nodding, Elijah's betrayed look not going amiss. "Don't you want to know why we did it?" she asks and I scoff.

"I already know you made a biological weapon for the government," I say, "to solve problems in large countries, right? Or basically just to kill everyone in them, but that backfired on you when it got out didn't it?" I spit. A tear rolls down my Mums cheek and she shakes her head, her eyes cast down to the floor. 

"Do you know how long we were made to work on it?" she asks and I shake my head. "Ten years! You were seven when it started, sixteen when you helped us complete it unknowingly," she mutters.

"So?" I shrug, my hand still on the door behind me.

"We were at gunpoint Madeline!" my mum pleads, her lips trembling but I just shake my head.

"But you knew what it was for, I didn't figure it out until it was too late and I realised what I had helped you do. If I was at gunpoint I wouldn't do it!" I say exasperated.

"But what if it was Ashia?" she asks and I frown.

"That's different and that has nothing to do with what I'm saying to you!" I say, almost pleading for her to understand and my tone on the verge of shouting.

"Actually it does, its a lot closer to home than you think..." she trails off and looks up. My anger-filled eyes meet hers and she bursts out, her arms flailing in the air. "I said we were held at gunpoint, meaning you and Sophie. At the age of seven and three, you had a gun pressed to your heads, Madeline, which is even worse. We had to do it. Can't you see that?" she cries, tears rolling down her flushed cheeks.

My face falls and that's when I know it's over. Because I do see, all too clearly.

They did it for mine and Sophie's lives, my parents that I have blamed and hated every day since the virus started.

Did it all for me.