Chapter 26: The Decaying

"Yes."

The word comes out of my mouth quicker than I thought possible, nothing is worth Ashia's life. Is this what went through my parent's heads when my life was threatened, it must be. Just thinking of them makes my eyes well up but I keep the tears from spilling, I won't cry, not in front of him. The Prime Minister smiles a sadistic grin and stares at me happily.

 "Well, that's just wonderful! Great decision!" he smiles and passes Ashia to a guard before he walks out the doors with a lazy wave of his hand. Ashia is pushed to me and I pull her into my arms protectively, wiping her tears.

Two soldiers drag my dad's limp body out of the room after wiping the floor carelessly, though the white tiles still sport a reddish tinge. I turn away as tears well up in my eyes and lean against the wall. My head spins and I take deep breaths in an attempt to calm myself, I can't afford any mistakes.

"I'm sorry," I mumble and I see Eli shake his head sadly, his eyes glazed over.

"It's not your fault Madeline, but you can do this and get us all out of here," he says forcefully, his eyes striking mine with a raging fire.

I nod but my face pales, because I don't think we'll ever leave this building. Not alive. 

"We have to make a choice, it's not something I should make alone, even if I want to," I say shakily. I run a hand through my hair tiredly and take a deep breath, staring at the group desperately. "If we do this, all those zombies, are going to die. They never asked for this and now we're just inflicting the same fate on them as before, it's not fair. But if we don't, we'll all die. I know which would be right but I can't bring myself to do it," I explain and see the mirrored looks of guilt and pain spread across the room.

And in that moment, I know what will happen. All the zombies are going to die, we're going to kill them all for my mistake. They are paying for my crime and I've chosen their fate, but I can't put my family at risk. I have to make the virus, I have no choice.

I stare up at the security cameras in the corners and take a long deep breath, I sit Ashia in the corner and place a gentle kiss on her forehead. 

"Mummy's got to work now, you sit here," I whisper and she grins up at me.

"Mumma."

Her word strikes me hard in the chest and I stare down at her in shock, all noise around the room stops and everyone stares at Ashia. I beam at her and hug her quickly, stroking her cheek softly.

"Mumma loves you very much," I whisper before walking back up to the tables. I pull on my safety gear and watch the others do the same, a pained look flickering across my face.

"We need to get started," Sophie says reluctantly and I nod silently, instantly grabbing chemicals and toxins from around the room. Everyone lapses into silence apart from the occasional question and attempts to breed the new virus, working with a rushed sense of caution.

Unease settles in my stomach and I find myself gasping quietly. Why do the government need me? I'm not a trained scientist, I didn't even mean to help with the original virus. The must have a numerous choice of highly experienced professionals that would create a virus quicker than me. I look at the sheets of instructions laid out in front of me, it all feels too easy. My heart hammers against my ribs and my hands shake uncontrollably.

There has to be something else.

Minutes lapse into hours and I find myself leaning against the table, my writing in front of me slowly fades in and out of focus and my eyes close heavily. Tiredness overwhelms me and sleep tugs me backwards into its soothing embrace, I feel myself slipping into the darkness. But I'm too far gone to notice.

***

"Madeline."

His sickly sweet voice sends a wave of dread through me and my body freezes in pure terror, he's here.

"Madeline? Where are you Madeline?" he taunts, closer this time as he calls out to me in his disgusting voice, chilling me to the bone and I run forward into the darkness in fear.

Decaying hands tug at my ankles and I scream as I sprawl to the floor, I splash into a puddle of blood and I spit it out repulsively. I try to crawl forward but I'm pulled back by an unseen force, and instead, I sink into the thick blood below me. I scream as I sink but soon my words are nothing but murmured gurgles, the crimson blood suffocating me.

In the last moments before the blood pulls me under I hear his voice, right in my ear.

"Oh Madeline, I'm already here."

***

I jump up and send my stool crashing to the floor, the others all jolt at the sudden noise and I stand it back up shakily. They look at me concerned and Maria opens her mouth, closing it straight away when she glimpses at the cameras positioned around the room.

Josh catches my eye from across the lab and I see his gaze flicker to a vial sat in front of him, I raise an eyebrow and he nods unnoticeably. I cough loudly, getting the groups attention and then lower my voice to a quiet whisper.

"They didn't deserve this and I can't do it, not again. You all have I trust me," I whisper and they all tilt their heads slightly in acceptance- I breathe a deep sigh of relief, a sense of happiness washing over me. Almost. 

"What do we do?" Maria asks, her lips barely moving and her voice so quiet nobody but us would know she said anything at all. A small smile tugs at my lips and I walk around the bench, closer to the vial of yellow liquid. Footsteps echo down the hallway and I smile slightly, as the doors slowly open I snatch the virus into my hand.

I close my fist around it before anyone would have noticed, Josh's body blocking the camera, and smirk slightly as the Prime Minister walks in.

I bow my head to him in mock respect and the stare down at my feet, my lips concealed behind the curtain that is formed by my hair falling around my face. I lower my voice so it is only just audible and I breath out quickly.

"Trust me. When I say run, do it."