Epilogue: Forgive me

One Year Later

The rain beats down on the car, as heavy as the tears that have fallen over the years and the windscreen wipers bat them away relentlessly. The sun peeks through the dark, stormy clouds and I know what I have to do, I have to chase the sun.

My sun, Josh.

For six months we've been separated, him with Maria and Jaz, me with our daughter Ashia. Trying to get back together for so long and now it's finally happening, I can't hide the smile that tugs at my lips in excitement and anticipation of what's to come.

I finally see them stood in a park the other side of the road and I pull over, cutting off the engine and putting the keys into my bag. Ashia looks up at me and giggles, "Mummy, where we going?" she asks and I smile at her cuteness.

"We're going to see Daddy and aunty Maria," I explain and she just looks out of the windows, her curly brown ringlets bouncing as she moves her head from side to side.

Shrieking of tires snaps my head away from Ashia and I look up to see a truck a few feet away, dread courses through me and I can't get me and Ashia out in time.

It's going to hit us.

In that moment everything slows down and I look up at Josh and Maria, their faces match the horror that's clearly streaked mine. Maria stands frozen in shock but Josh lunges forward, only to stop when he sees me shaking my head. No.

I pull Ashia into my arms and cradle her against my body as she whimpers.

"It's all going to be ok soon, I promise," I whisper and no sooner have the words left my mouth the truck smashes into us.

The glass shatters, piercing our skin and I let out a cry of pain, my head is thrown against the side of the car and I groan at the impact. Ashia cries and I hold her as tight as I can, the car spins through the road and crashes into a large tree which snaps down on us instantly.

Ashia's cries silence and her body goes limp in my arms, tears stream down my face and I let out a strangled cry, her tiny heartbeat only just evident as I press my fingers to her neck. 

The roof collapses down to rest in my chair and I grimace heavily at the claustrophobia that starts to kick in. My stomach screams in pain and I look down slowly, my neck complaining as I do so. I gape in horror as I see the scarlet shard of metal that pierces my stomach to the seat, restraining my movement. Strangled, hitched breaths fall from my mouth and tears pool in my eyes. My daughter, she can't be gone. My body continues to roar in pain as my weak arms fumble for her limp body, screams shattering around me.

Am I going to die?

I feel liquid pool at my feet and I gasp as I see how close the flames are, if they meet, the car will explode.

My head rolls back and I feel Ashia's body fall from my arms, tears stream down my face and I gaze out the window with pain. Josh runs to us at full speed and staggers to the car door, he yells out in horror as he sees Ashia and my blood-stained clothes. He pulls Ashia into his arms and tugs relentlessly at the door, tears streaming down his cheeks as he screams in agony.

"Madeline I'm going to get you out of there, ok?" he says frantically, tears dripping down his cheeks and I shake my head gently.

"It's going to explode Josh, you need to get back. I-I can't move, I'm not getting out of this," I whisper and he cries harder, tugging at the door which is jammed completely shut.

He finally stops and leans into the car, pressing his lips to mine gently. I bring my trembling hands to his face and kiss him back with all I have, my body shaking weakly. As he pulls away he reaches into his pocket and grabs my hand in his.

"Madeline, I've loved you forever and I promise I will continue to for the rest of our lives. I promise to protect you from everything and I promise to love you until the day I die," he whispers and I cry at his words. "Madeline, will you marry me?" he cries and I nod my head lovingly, he slowly slides the ring onto my finger gently and I sob weakly. The diamond reflects the fire and it burns into my eyes, a moment that will stay with me forever. However long that may be.

An explosion booms from the engine and Josh is thrown back by the force of it, he spins to the ground and I let out a pain-filled shriek. Fire gnaws at my feet as I try to move weakly, stopping as the shard stabs even deeper.

"MADELINE NO! PLEASE NO, DO NOT LEAVE ME. I'M BEGGING YOU, PLEASE NO!" he shouts over the flames and I cry feebly. Maria shouts at an operator on the phone but it's no use, no one is coming. No one except death.

I got what I deserve, what I wanted.

I wish the world could go back to a time where old age and car accidents where the most common causes of death, I'd take that over what this world has become.

A massive explosion shoots through the car and engulfs me in flames, I scream but I can't move. I'm paralysed. The blistering heat sears my skin but I sway in the moments before death, I hope I've done enough good to the world to override the bad.

I pray for forgiveness as death crawls up my fingertips, leaving a calming sensation in its wake. I'm sorry, I'm sorry that I've put the world through this, I'm sorry.

The darkness swirls around me and I fall limp, I hear my heartbeat fade away in my ears and at that moment I know it's all over. Death isn't something to be afraid of, it's just a place to be safe. I'm happy now, it doesn't hurt anymore because I know it will all be better soon.

Forgive me, God. Forgive me for what I have done, for all that I have caused. Forgive my sins and all the pain I inflicted, I repent it all. God, forgive me.

I don't want to die. Help me.

Please.

Amelia was right, this world has broken me. But do you know what the depressing thing is?

I'd let it break me a million times over.