Chapter 30: The Confession

Daniel's POV

Sophie walks past the group with a face of stone and towards me, Maddy falls to her knees in despair but makes no move to stop her. She's mine, and Maddy knows it.

Eli's face is a mixture of regret, pain and disappointment as his eyes trail after Sophie. Well, I suppose I would be disheartened too if my girlfriend had just strolled over to the enemy side.

Too bad, she is my girlfriend.

As soon as Sophie reaches me she launches herself into my outstretched arms and presses her lips to mine passionately, I hold her tightly and kiss her back. As soon as she pulls away, her face sports a taunting smirk and I drape my arm around her shoulder, before looking back to Maddy and her group of brainless followers. Her head is shaking wildly and she is still down on her knees sobbing.

"Sophie, why are you doing this? I don't understand!" she cries pathetically and I roll my eyes at her childish ways. Sophie sighs beside me and narrows her eyes at Madeline.

"Oh I will tell you eventually sister, but first, you should explain to what remains of our family, don't you think?" she says sarcastically and I hear Madeline whimper in defeat.

"No, no, no! Let me explain and Madeline can agree with what I say, yes?" I suggest rhetorically and then clap my hands in front of me to signify the start of my speech. Madeline hangs her head in shame but gets shakily to her feet, tear tracks staining her pretty little face.

"You see, Madeline and I go way back. We were never friends though, oh no, she was the pretty and popular girl. I was the freak, the nerd, the insane one. Well, all that changed one night, it was an innocent high school party that Madeline turned into a reason for my torture," I say angrily and pause to try and calm my hatred. Her group look at her confused and Josh stands with a frown permanently plastered to his face. 

"Ahhh Joshua, this is where you come in, yeah?" I say and he looks up to me warily, "I feel sorry for you really, how Madeline lied to you the most," I add and he shakes his head, lost by my words.

"I bet Madeline told you that you were the one, right? That you were her first love, correct?" I ask and he nods his head cautiously, almost afraid to answer in actual words. So dumb, I don't know what Madeline sees in him.

"Wrong!" I sing and hear Sophie chuckle beside me, "you see Josh, Madeline said all those things to me. That I was her true love, the one. Only to forget about me the next day," I spit and see Josh's eyes widen in understanding.

"M-Madeline, is this true?" he asks and she nods her head slowly, sobbing even louder.

"I'm so sorry Josh, I do love you, I swear. But I was drunk Daniel, I never meant for any of that to happen. Please stop!" she cries and I shake my head mockingly.

"But why, we're just getting to the good part," I sneer and she covers her face with her hands feebly.

"The next day when I told people, she lied to the entire school, she said I forced her into it. The next day I was arrested and jailed, even though I was innocent because who believes the freak?" I say and a tear falls down my cheek.  Madeline's friends stare at her in shock and disappointment or even slight anger.

 "Daniel I'm sorry, it's just one thing lead to another and then you were in trouble and there was nothing I could do," she cries and anger bubbles over inside me.

"YOU SHOULD HAVE COME CLEAN MADELINE!" I shout across the room and she flinches at my words, "YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST TOLD EVERYBODY THAT YOU GOT WITH THE NERD, BUT INSTEAD I WAS ARRESTED MADELINE! ARRESTED AND JAILED!" I scream and she stumbles back slightly.

"I know and I'm so sorry but I was young and stupid, I didn't know what to do and it scared me," she says softly, all is silent for a while until she looks over to Sophie. "Please, you have to tell me. What are you doing?" she asks sadly.

"What Daniel said is the truth sister, you always were the best one who always got everything right. So the day before Daniel got arrested I went to find him, he told me what happened and I believed him. What you had with him was never love, but with us, it was, right from the start," she says bitterly.

"Of course, no one could know that the criminal was dating the poor victim's little sister and so we told no one," I finish and see Madeline start to cry again.

"SOPHIE, HE DOESN'T LOVE YOU! HE'S USING YOU TO GET BACK AT ME, DONT DO THIS!" Maddy shouts and I narrow my eyes at her, shut up Madeline. Sophie shakes her head and presses into my side lovingly. 

"SOPHIE ELI LOVES YOU, NOT DANIEL, ELI!" she continues and Sophie's face flickers with something, is it indecision? Anger courses through me and the all too familiar feeling of betrayal stings my throat because I don't think she loves me.

I think she loves him.