Chapter 22: The River of Blood

The shards of glass slice my skin and soon trickles of blood slide down my arms and face, I crawl along the floor and crouch next to Josh by the kitchen island. Ashia cries in his arms and I kiss her head soothingly, my bloodstained fingers stroking her face.

 "It's ok, honey," I coo over the blaring gurgles. "Are you ok?" I ask Josh and he nods his head blankly.

The zombies pile in the front door, attracted to the noise no doubt, fighting to get to the front, and I stand up straight. I hold my gun in front of me and stand beside Sophie and Eli as we start to fire bullets into the thick crowd, a few slump to the ground but they gain on us rapidly. Sophie and Eli send knives flying into the heard but they're too fast, I grab a carving knife from the kitchen counter and slash wildly as the infected descend on us.

Blood slicks the wooden floor and I slip on the merciless ground, pushing the zombies away from me in a panicky way. Howls and screams of pain pierce the air, along with the occasional crunch as metal cuts through bone, and I shiver at the cold sound.

I slice at the throat of an infected but it soon pins me to the ground, I whimper as its hands claw at my neck and the gurgles that erupt from its throat engulf me. With a piercing shriek it goes limp and slides off my bloodstained body, I look up and see Eli pulling his knife out the infected's back. 

"Thanks," I nod in surprise and he grabs my hand, pulling me up.

"No problem," he shouts over the racket that echoes around us. "DUCK!" he yells and I bend down to the floor instantly. Blood splashes down onto me and I shiver repulsed, I feel Eli stab an infected above me and I roll forewords to clear it's body as it falls. I give Eli an appreciative nod, a mixture of astonishment and gratitude, before turning back to the zombies that continue to barrel towards us.

I see Josh wildly fighting a few infected, getting overpowered as he slashes his knife in front of him blindly- shielding Ashia who lies behind him.  I run forward instinctively, springing up onto the granite surface and launching myself into the infected below. I stab my knife into its skull and we fall to the ground with a loud thud, my injured ribs protesting as we hit the ground harshly.

Panting, I scramble over to Josh and Ashia and stare at him painfully, a long gash runs down his bicep and I grimace at the deep cut. 

"Josh you need to go and take Ashia, go to the bedroom and lock the door, let nothing in until this is over," I shout over the screams and push him towards the hall. His feeble attempts to disagree are drowned out by the infected and he disappears into the white room, a defeated and guilty expression across his face.

As the door closes a loud rumble erupts and I spin around in horror, an explosion rockets through the smashed window sending billows of fire through the apartment.

I'm thrown back through the air and I crash into the dresser of china, plates and bowls shatter around me, their sharp shards sliding through the river of blood that covers the floor. My ears ring and I cover them with my hood weakly, feeling blood seep from them lightly. I feel the heat on my face and I wince at the burn that spreads across my skin, shielding my eyes from it with my hands weakly.

Dizziness and disorientation spin around my head and I push myself up to my hands and knees, only to crash back down painfully seconds later. I drag myself forward and close my hand around the gun that flew from my grasp, shakily checking the remaining bullets and sliding it into the waistband of my jeans.

No zombies remain, the raging fire claiming them and pulling the bodies back into death once again. The scent of burning flesh settles around us and I crinkle my nose in disgust, warm tears fall down my cheeks and I wipe them away slowly. Warmed by the scorching fire, they drizzle down my cheeks as my eyes water relentlessly in the thick smoke that rapidly fills the apartment. I start to cough, the smoke suffocating me, specks of blood appearing on the back of my hand and I wince, clutching my ribs that shoot pain through my torso. 

I carefully drag myself forward towards the hall where my family crouch in pain and shock, my arms trembling as they pull my dead weight. My head spirals to the floor and I collapse heavily, blood washing over my arms. I cry out, more in frustration than pain, and feel gentle arms pick me up.

I look up and see my Dad pulling me into his warm embrace, carrying my burning body through the smoke and into the hallway where he sets me down next to Sophie. I gently squeeze her hand in an attempt at comfort, but anxiety is still evident across her features. She lays her head on my shoulder and I close my eyes, letting darkness clear my twirling head in a moment of escape. They slowly flutter open and I look around the group, their faces flicker through my mind and I scream getting to my feet shakily- lurching forward and shrugging out of my dad's grip.

"MUM? MUM NO!" I scream, staggering back into the flames.