Chapter 10: The Brown Bear

Unknown POV

I remember that night well. The screams, cries and shrieks of pain and sickening terror.

That night blood fell instead of darkness.

The virus spread amongst the population and we had to hide, we had to be safe. But I don't think I am anymore.

The lights flicker off in the small room and I stare into the darkness, I rock back and forth and hum gently- a melodic tone that mimics a child's nursery rhyme about a brown bear. I hear their screeches outside and the occasional thud as they throw their rancid decaying bodies at the metal door that protects me. 

A crunch echoes through the building and I flinch, the cold mists of death creeping towards me and chilling me to the bone. I clamp my hands around my throat in a vice-like grip and rock faster, the song picking up pace as I hum manically- trying to find comfort in the moments before death. The darkness suffocates me and I tilt my head to the side blankly.

A ray of light floods the room as another thud echoes through the darkness and I scream in terror. My hands fall from my neck in frustration and I feel a tear roll down my cheek, with one last thud the door swings open and I squeeze my eyes tightly shut.