Chapter 33: The End

Daniel's POV

My hands tighten around her throat and I let out a scream of frustration, taking my hands off her but still pinning her down and she gasps loudly for air. I can't kill her like that, she deserves a longer and more painful death. She stares up at me and her eyes widen as I draw out a knife with a long thin blade, she whimpers and shakes her head frantically. 

"Madeline, Madeline, Madeline. You see, this is what you get for lying. For making my life a living hell, this is the fit punishment," I say happily and she continues to thrash around beneath me.

"Please, Daniel, please. You don't have to do this, we can sort it out, please," she begs in a row of rapid gasping, her arms clawing at the granite floor. I secure an arm whilst I shake my head slowly and bring the knife down to her flesh gently; trace patterns lightly on the skin, tickling her bruised arm. 

"Hmm, what shall we start with? Outcast, freak, insane, mental, gosh it's such a long list!" I taunt and she whimpers in terror. "You used all those words and more on me Madeline, it's only fair really!" I say and then add with a gasp, "oh wait I got it! What about liar?" I ask rhetorically and she shakes her head violently, screaming as I press down the blade.

Blood trickles down her arm and I cut in jagged lines to create letters, as I move the knife she screams out in pain.

"DANIEL NO! PLEASE DON'T, IT HURTS! NO!"

As I finish the word her screams stop to a steady groan and I smirk at her sarcastically, she looks around for help wildly but the zombies are all so busy fighting their own battle to help. As for Josh and Maria, well, they're probably dead by now anyway.

Pain stabs through my hand and I see a filthy dog ripping at my flesh, I yell and shake my hand but its grasp remains tight. 

"GET OFF ME YOU MUTT!" I shriek and fling it across the room, it slides across the floor and smacks into a corner of the wall with a light yelp.

"Jazzy no," Madeline protests weakly but I grab her by her chocolate brown hair and slam her head down against the floor, her eyes roll back but she stays awake.

Just.

Blood seeps out from the back of her head and I sneer down at her.

"Oops, I'm sorry that was an accident. Just like how you lied to the police was an accident, right?" I ask and tears fall down her cheeks heavily. Her hands continue to grapple at the floor and I punch her hard in the stomach, I feel her exhale violently and she coughs up scarlet splatters of blood across the once white floor.

I trail the knife from her neck down to her heart and I raise it slowly, I wipe the sticky blood off on my shirt before repositioning it over her chest again gently.

"Madeline? As I did for your little sister, well, dead sister. Have you any last words?" I ask happily and press the blade against her skin, the pressure heavier than before. She whimpers before setting her face to stone and nodding curtly, I raise an eyebrow and she speaks out hoarsely.

"You killed my sister and my mother, you were going to kill every zombie on the planet and you were going to kill me. Maybe I deserve it but the others didn't, they are innocent and you are a cold-blooded killer," she spits and I sigh waiting for her to finish.

"You know what Sophie said before you took her life? Hmm? She said you deserve to die, just before you shot her in the head. An innocent girl who helped you, you killed mercilessly. SHE IS RIGHT! YOU DESERVE TO DIE!" she screams and her arm shoots towards me.

I let out a startled gasp and I look down slowly, a knife pierces straight through my heart and I stare at it in shock. Blood streams from my mouth as it pours from my throat and I fall to my side heavily, slumping off Madeline. I feel her kneel up and bend over me, she stares down at me with cold eyes and I let out a raspy whisper.

"Madeline...please...help me," I stutter and she shakes her head slowly.

"What like you helped Sophie?" she says and then laughs, her voice rises into a loud and clear scream.

"THIS IS FOR SOPHIE!" she screams and as soon as the words are out she plunges a knife straight into my skull.

The last thing I see is the glint of sun on metal before my eyes roll back and I'm plugged into a spiralling darkness.

It's over.

The game has finished.

But my life, it has just begun.