Chapter 7: Violence

Chapter 7: Violence

I ran my fingers over the spot Zayn had bit into. He smirked down at me as he pulled away. I didn’t dare to look into his eyes.

A blood curdling yell broke through our silence like a knife. I suddenly remember Andrew. Poor Andrew.

Before Zayn could stop me, I pushed past him and bolted down the street. The stupid people walking pretended as if they didn’t hear the scream of a man in pain. Weak cowards.

I turned the corner to find a horrific sight, though it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. Niall and Liam towered over a bloody and beaten Andrew. I couldn’t tell if he was unconscious or just too hurt to move.

I scrambled over to them as quickly as possible, paying no attention to personal safety. Niall drew back his foot and slammed it into Andrew’s stomach. I heard a shriek escape my lips, earning me the attention of the two violent boys.

Both watched me intently as I rushed over to the poor boy lying on the floor; neither made a move to stop me and just moved out of my way. It was as if they were afraid, or weren’t allowed to touch me. I didn’t know what to do with Andrew.

His face was bruised and bloodied. His body was bent and contorted. His eyes crusted shut. His arm certainly was not supposed to be in that shape. I started crying, blubbering like a fucking baby. I held his cheeks in my hands as I looked over him.

This boy was a complete stranger. He was just trying to help out; be a good person and walk me home. He was just doing the right thing. And now, here he lay, clinging on to life because he was seen out with the wrong person.

I felt a new presence enter the ally. I heard his slow approach, but didn’t dare look up. I wanted him to see that I was too preoccupied with Andrew. I snuffled and wiped my tears quickly. I returned my hand to the bloodied cheek.

“Get up.” Zayn snarled behind me. I ignored him. He didn’t deserve my response.

“Did I stutter? Get the fuck up!” He snapped again. I heard him take a step closer and then felt a gentle nudge in my side. His fucking foot. He nudged me with his fucking foot like I was a fucking dog.

“Hannah, I’m not playing with you. Don’t fucking touch that boy one more time or you’re gonna get it.” He growled, growing increasingly furious with me. I felt two other pairs of eyes watching me, but pretended they weren’t there.

I don’t know why I did it; I guess I was still clinging on to some ridiculous rebelling side within. I made a point of drawing my hand up and stuck my index finger straight out. I didn’t look to see Zayn’s reaction; he still stood over me.

I slowly, dramatically, poked the unconscious boy’s cheek, doing what Zayn told me not to do. I then slowly lifted my face to stare at the others who were with me in the alley.

Niall looked almost amused at my childish behavior. Oh, I am so glad someone finds this funny. Liam just stood there looking shocked and almost fearful for me. I turned to look up at Zayn.

He looked livid, to say the least.

His nostrils were flaring. His chest heaving up and down in short breaths. His fists were curled up at his sides. The vein in his neck was popping out and his jaw was clenched tightly. His teeth were snapped shut behind his lips that formed a silent snarl. This wasn’t the scary part though.

His eyes.

The usually brown pools of mystery were now black, almost tinted red. They showed so much anger and frustration. I could see the brutal force he wanted to inflict. I could feel the hate rolling off him in waves as his eyes bore holes into me. His stare burned me with fear and regret; I had pushed him too far.