Chapter 41: Threat

Chapter 41: Threat

I paid as quickly as I could, though the cashier moved at a snail pace. Big blue eyes stared at me in fear. Even though I was in a bad mood and I wanted to snap at her for the slow pace, I thought she looked scared enough so I only offered up a friendly smile.

I glanced over my shoulder at where I thought Zayn was, but there was only an empty space. I glanced back at the girl and realized it was me she was afraid of. Why?

Zayn Malik.

She thought that if she messed up I would go and tattle or something. My stomach fluttered a little bit and I could feel my heart sinking. The last thing I needed was for people to be afraid of me.

Wait, then where was Zayn?

I took out my credit card and paid for all of the groceries. Pushing the cart out of the store, I kept my eyes peeled for my boyfriend. Instead of finding him, I caught the eye of his mother. I gave her a reassuring nod, promising I’d talk to him, before heading over to where we had parked.

“Wait! Hannah!” I heard my name being called and forced myself to turn around. Zayn’s mother rushed up to me with her youngest daughter trailing behind.

“I don’t mean to pry, Darling, I know I’ve done enough already, but I wanted to make sure you’re alright.” She looked at me only with concern, kind of like how my own mom used to look at me when I was in high school.

“Of course I’m alright.” I plastered on a fake smile. She shook her head and looked down at her ten year old, who stood clinging to her shirt.

“I mean, well, he just looked so angry and… and I hear things and I’m worried that,” she glanced back down at her daughter and censored her next words carefully, “that he’ll do something he will regret.”

I bit my lip. Shit, I hadn’t thought of that. Zayn has a tendency to act rashly when he’s angry, but he doesn’t often regret it. Of course, since I’m the one going home with him, I’m on the receiving end of his violent tantrums.

“I’m not afraid of him.” I lied. I could tell Zayn’s mom didn’t believe me but she didn’t push it in the presence of Safaa. I sent them a small wave and turned on my heel.

I stopped the cart right by the car. It was locked so I guessed that I’d be stuck there until Zayn made an appearance.

Catching drift of a particular smell, I glanced around until my eyes landed on the cloud of smoke coming from around the corner of the store. Deciding it was safe to leave the cart filled with groceries right next to Zayn’s car (which had a license plate that said MALIK on it), I wandered over to the smoke, following my hunch.

“You know how I feel about smoking,” I said softly. His dark eyes snapped up to me, but he made no move to toss out the lit stick in between his fingers.

“You know how I bloody feel about my mother, didn’t stop you from getting involved.” He responded, his voice huskier and lower than usual.

“I didn’t mean to upset you, I just felt bad for her.” Zayn scoffed at my words and flicked the butt of his cigarette to the concrete, squishing it with the toe of his boot.

“You knew damn well what you were doing, Darlin’.” He walked away from me, leaving me standing in the remains of his smoke. I let out an aggravated sigh and followed behind him.

“Zayn.” I called behind him. When I caught up to him, he was packing up the trunk with the grocery bags. He shoved the shopping cart forcefully away from his car, not bothering to put it back in the little trolley station.