Chapter 35: Worried

Chapter 35: Worried

Days passed quickly with Zayn. We had a fairly good time, keeping each other company and hanging out. On my third day at his place, Zayn drove me to a job interview at that financial corporation. Jacobs and Johnson, the investment firm was called.

I still had no idea what sort of power Zayn held over the company, and I didn’t really want to find out.

The interview went smoothly and a day later, Jacobs called and said I got the job. I tried to tell myself it was because of my good attitude and hard work, and not because Johnson and Jacobs saw Zayn waiting for me in the hallway and made the connection in their head.

I started working there a few days later as an intern and I honestly can’t be happier. I know it sounds boring, but finances and investments are actually things I’m good at. Of course, I can’t handle any client’s cases, but being in the atmosphere of an investment firm is enough to wet my appetite.

I do get paid, not too much, but I still have my own money now and I can stop mooching off Zayn.

He said it’s not mooching if we live together and he’s my boyfriend, but still… I consider it mooching.

It’s been a few weeks since I started at the firm. I only work three days a week, but I’m ok with that. I can always up my hours later.

Zayn goes out five nights a week. He leaves at eight and doesn’t come back until four or five in the morning.

The first night, I got angry with him- which spurred another fight.

After that, I kind of just accepted it.

He’s not out partying or anything- he’s out ‘working’, whatever that means. Though, it’s not hard to guess since he came home on multiple occasions with cuts and bruises on his face and body.

The next day, Eleanor, Danielle and I talk about it and they report that Louis and Liam come home in the same state.

We leave it at that. None of us want to go in further detail.

“You going out again?” I asked Zayn from where I lay on the couch, flipping through the newspaper. He glances over at me as he walks across the living room and slips on his leather jacket.

“Yeah, don’t wait up.”

“You know I will.”

He paused in the doorway before coming back to me. He crouched in front of me so that we were eye level.

“Darlin’, I can take care of myself when I get home. I don’t want you losing any sleep.” He mutters softly.

“I know, but I won’t be sleeping well regardless so I may as well wait up.” I shrug. When Zayn’s not home, I toss and turn. I’m not sure if it’s because I’ve grown so accustomed to the curve of his body against my own or if it’s because I know he’s out there, somewhere, in danger.

Either way, I don’t get much sleep.

“Hannah.” He breathed out. The use of my actual name and not an affection nick name caught my attention.

“Hmm?”

“I know that these few weeks have been tough, with me being gone so frequently. I know that I worry you when I come home like I do. And I want you to know that I’m sorry. But I think that it’ll end soon. The boys and I are almost done with a certain job. Just bear with me for a little longer.” He begged. In response, I leaned forward and kissed him on the nose.

“Have fun.”

“I’ll try,” he grinned back, leaning down to kiss me fully.

When Zayn left, I occupied my time talking to my family on the phone. They’re five hours behind so it was only the afternoon for them. At about midnight, I said good-bye and I love you like I always do and began to look for a snack in the kitchen.

I froze in my spot once I heard a loud banging.

Where was that coming from.

THUD!

The entrance.

Nervously, I tiptoed out of the kitchen and peered into the foyer. What I saw made my heart drop.

Harry and Liam were standing in front of the elevator, after just climbing off of it, holding a body.

I let out a gasp, alerting them of my presence, and ran to Zayn.

“What did you do to him?!” I shouted as they pushed passed me and carried him down to his bedroom. I followed behind the two boys.

“He’s fine.” Liam assured me with a grin. They were both grinning.

“The hell’s wrong with you?!” I pushed them out of the way so that I could get a better look. Zayn was unconscious, but that was the least of my worries. His face was puffy and swollen, his eyes black and blue. Bruises trailed his jawline and down into his shirt. Cuts and blood were left scattered across his beautiful features and he lay so still.

“He’s obviously not fine!”

“Calm down, Hannah.” Liam put his hand on my shoulder in a comforting manner, but I pushed it off.

“Don’t you fucking tell me to calm down! Wipe those stupid smirks off your faces and tell me what the fuck happened!” I shouted at them. The boys exchanged glances before turning back to me.

“Well, it’s not really-” Harry began, but I cut him off.

“I’m not talking to you. Liam,” I turned to the other boy, “tell me what happened.” They both rolled their eyes at me, but I was determined never to speak to the curly haired cunt again.

“He just got a little banged up. Nothing too bad. It looks worse than it is- no broken bones or sprains. So you can relax. The only reason why he’s out is ‘cause he’s drunk.” Liam shrugged, trying desperately to wipe that smile off his face.

“Tell. Me. What. Happened.” I demanded through my teeth.

“Jesus, it’s like she don’t even know how to talk to us.” Liam turned to Harry.

“No respect.” He agreed.

“Look, Hannah. I can’t tell you what happened. Alright? Something went down, we came out victorious and we decided to celebrate, so Zayn got drunk. That’s all. Now if you’ll be so kind, we’ve got to get going.” Liam nudged Harry out of the room, leaving me to the corpse-like man who they seemed so unconcerned with.

I sat down next to him and let my fingers trail over his hurt face. He seemed to sense my cool touch, even in his slumber, and allowed a smile to spread across his cheeks.

It hurt me physically, but I pulled my hand away and went into our ensuite to grab first aid supplies. As he slept peacefully, I cleaned up the blood on his face. Carefully, I shimmied him out of his shirt and pants.

His body wasn’t bruised as badly as I thought it would be, but I still had to clean him up a little. Once that was all done, I tucked him under the covers and curled up beside him.

“It’s over. We won. It’s over.” He muttered as I snuggled myself into his body. I looked up to see if he was awake, but his eyes were still shut peacefully.

When I awoke, it was 11a.m the next day. Zayn was still asleep next to me, his arm hooked around me protectively like it usually was. He didn’t look as bad in the daylight as he had in the darkness. I guess the shadows had made his bruises seem bigger and his cuts seem deeper.

I carefully pushed myself away from him and padded down to the kitchen in my pajamas- which was a pair of panties and one of Zayn’s t-shirts. What do you make someone with a hangover?

I put on the tea, knowing that Zayn would want that when he wakes up. I set out two advils and a glass of water for the pain he will be in from his physical injuries as well as from the headache of a hangover.

While I was waiting for the toast (simple, not-smelly food is great for hangovers, I think) I decided to put a little music on. Just as I reached for the radio, I pulled my hand back, knowing that waking a hungover Zayn with obnoxious rap music is probably a stupid idea.

The toast was ready quickly, so I buttered it up and set it on a plate at the counter. I fixed Zayn’s tea and put it next to the plate.

I could hear feet shuffling at the end of the hallway. He’s up.

“Good Morning.” I greeted softly, my eyes roaming over his near naked body and examining the damage. Yeah, definitely not as bad as it had looked last night.

“Mornin’.” He grunted back. He paused in front of the counter and stared down at the prepared meal.

“This for me?”

“Yep.” I nodded my head and leaned forward on the counter, standing across from him as he sat down and watched his food cautiously.

“It’s not poison, is it?” He picked up a piece of the toast.

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“You never cook for me. Did I do something to make you want to kill me?” He took a tentative bite of the toast and ate it slowly. Following that was an extremely cautious sip of tea.

“I was trying to be nice to you,” I shrugged, standing back up straight, “even though you don’t deserve it.” I added in as an afterthought.

“Why are you trying to be nice to me?” He narrowed his eyes.

“Because you look like that, plus you have a hangover.” He glanced down at his body and look expectantly at the bruises.

“I don’t look too bad, do I?” He mused to himself out loud.

“Wait, why don’t I deserve it?” He asked, pushing his eyebrows together. I sighed and shoved the glass of water and the advils towards him. He took them, never breaking eye contact with me.

“Because Liam and Harry had to bring you home.”

“And?” He pressed as if it were no big deal.

“And, I don’t want to be around Harry,” he rolled his eyes at me, “and you were unconscious, and you were drunk and you were all beat up. You gave me a fucking heart attack. I thought something horrible had happened to you!”

“Well nothing horrible happened. I’m fine. Louis was wasted, so Niall took him back to Eleanor. That left Harry and Liam to take care of me, that’s all. And this is my flat, Harry’s my mate, he’ll be coming ‘round ‘ere a lot, so you better bloody get used to it.” He mumbled out with a grumpy tone.

“I won’t ever get used to it.”

“Whatever.”

“What about you being drunk and looking like that, huh? That’s no big deal to you either?” I pointed to his swollen cheek as an emphasis to my point. He winced, as if he were only now feeling the throbbing pain.

“I got into a tousle. You think I look bad, you shoulda seen the other guy.” Zayn chuckled to himself, shaking his head at the memory.

“I didn’t get as hurt as it looks like I did. That stressful thing I told you about yesterday, the ‘job’ eating up my time- that ended when I took care of this guy last night. The lads and I decided to celebrate with some drinks. Sue me.”

“ I thought you had been… I thought maybe you wouldn’t wake up. I thought Harry and Liam were bringing me your body to mourn over!”

“Don’t be so bloody dramatic. You can’t get rid of me that easily.” He growled, storming out of the room without another word.