Chapter 37: Comfort

Chapter 37: Comfort

“There a problem here?” Zayn hissed, stepping in front of me to get up in the boy’s face. I clutched onto Zayn’s arm and tried to tug him back.

“Hey, hey. Relax.” I told him calming words in his ear, but he forcefully shoved me back and sent me flying into someone.

“You wanna tell me what the fuck I just saw, mate?” He spat at the poor boy. The younger male cringed back and was visibly trembling.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”

“Zayn!” I shouted at him, pissed off that he was so rough with me. He spun around at the sound of my voice and nodded at someone behind me. Immediately, two arms came constricting around my torso.

“Let’s go.” Louis spoke to the other two girls I had been dancing with.

“Lou- this isn’t right. He was just-”

“I said LET’S GO!” He interrupted Eleanor, dragging me out of the club kicking and screaming. Danielle and Eleanor followed behind us silently. The last thing I saw before I was pulled out of the club was Zayn and Harry following behind Niall and Liam, who were pulling the boy out of the club.

“Let me go!” I struggled against Louis. He quickly let go of me and nodded towards one of the Range Rovers.

“We’re leaving.” He informed us. Danielle scrambled in the car. Eleanor paused for a second but he sent her a look that even made me question arguing with him. Soon, Eleanor joined Danielle in the car. I tried to brush passed Louis but he pushed me back.

“Get in the damn car, Hannah.” He demanded, his short temper making an appearance.

“If you think I’m going to actually listen to you, then you have another thing coming.” I hissed back. I didn’t give him the chance to respond as I dodged him and jogged around him. I saw his arm come out to catch me, so I was able to duck and make my way into the club. Glancing around, I couldn’t find Zayn and the boys anywhere. I raced through the hot, sweaty bodies and barged out of a back entrance door into an alley.

“I don’t care if you didn’t fucking know!!” PUNCH “Your hands were all over her!” I heard Zayn shout. I winced at the complete fury and darkness in his voice. Instantly, I rushed towards their dark shadows.

“P-please.” A weak voice begged. I heard Zayn and his friends chuckle darkly before a THUD sounded through the alley, followed by a cracking of bones and a scream in pain.

As I came closer, I saw the scene all too clearly. Harry, Liam, Niall and Zayn were all standing in front of a figure crumpled on the ground.

“That’s enough.” I snapped bravely as I slid in between the victim on the floor and the dangerous men in front of me.

“Jesus Christ.” Liam cursed under his breath as the four boys realized who had stepped in.

“Darlin’, I’m in no bloody mood to deal with this. Where the fuck is Louis?” He yelled at me, yanking me away from the boy on the floor harshly and slamming me against the opposite brick wall. I flinched at the pain in my lower back from the force of the contact.

“You’re clearly forgetting who you’re dealing with, Zayn. Did you actually think that Louis could hold me back? Please, even I give you more credit than that.” I scoffed cruelly.

“I’ll make a fucking example outta you.” He warned lowly, his hand coming up to my neck and resting there lightly.

“And what’re you gonna do, tough guy?” I taunted him, “beat me?”

I felt his fingers tighten a little, his expression looked as if he were debating my suggestion.

“I’ll see you at home.” It was definitely more of a threat than any sort of romantic promise or casual gesture. His voice was laced with tense fury and even I thought maybe it’d be best to back off. Then my eyes darted to the crumpled boy who was lying in his own blood on the floor and decided that backing off was cowardly.

I tried to kick him, but Zayn easily held me up against the wall while he turned to his friends.

“Niall, deal with her. Do whatever it takes to get her back to mine and I’ll sort her out when I’m done here. Just don’t scrape her up too badly, yeah?” Zayn practically hurled my body at the Irish boy and watched the two of us struggle.

I fought Niall in vain as he effortlessly picked me up and carried me out of the alleyway and back onto the street. Louis was waiting outside the Range Rover with an angry expression. He was leaning on the car with his arms folded over his chest.

I heard Louis mutter some derogatory and insulting things about me as he opened the door to the backseat, where I was flung practically on top of poor Danielle. As soon as Niall and Louis were in, the car was tearing off down the streets towards Zayn’s flat.

“You guys are going to hell. What’s going on back there isn’t right.” I tried to lean forward to talk to Niall and Louis, but it made it hard with Danielle in the middle seat.

“Like we care.” Niall snorted.

“You guys are a bunch of heartless bastards. All five of you.”

“Louis, I really think that we’re not being rational about this.” Eleanor spoke up softly, leaning forward like me to try to hold a conversation.

“I swear to god, El, if you don’t shut your trap right now, I’ll sort you out right here. I’ll pull over to the side of the road and deal with you in front of these three.” Louis’s volume rose as he snapped at her. His stern eyes glanced at her in the rearview mirror to make sure that she got the message.

“But-”

“If you know what’s best for you, then shut the fuck up.”

The rest of the ride was silent. I knew that when we arrived at Zayn’s building, there was no way I would get away from Niall and back to the club somehow, but that didn’t stop me from trying.

I mean, I do have a reputation to uphold.

Niall dragged me out of the car, roughly. As soon as we were out, Louis sped off towards Liam’s to drop Danielle off.

The struggle began.

At one point, I think I may have punched Niall somewhere in his face. He should’ve expected worse, though. I’m not an easy person to deal with. Regardless, he still made it up to Zayn’s apartment and literally dumped me on the floor before leaving.

I didn’t even bother attempting escape. The elevator is locked and the fire escape is sealed.

Escape is impossible.

Instead, I focused my energy on being angry at Zayn. Let’s see how big and tough the fucker is when he comes home and has to deal with me. I would have trashed his place if I didn’t know that I would be the one cleaning it up anyways.

The thug arrived not too long afterwards. I could hear the elevator doors ding open from the bedroom, where I was changing. I quickly slipped on my top and charged out, fully prepared with verbal (and potentially physical) attacks.

I padded into the living room, but he wasn’t there. I saw his keys on the table, then his leather jacket laying on the sofa. It’s as if he left a little trail for me to follow into the kitchen.

I followed it, only to find asshole taking a sip of beer. His back was to me, but I knew that he had heard me come in because all his back muscles stiffened.

“Put down the goddamn beer.” I seethed, crossing my arms over my chest. Zayn didn’t listen to me, instead just turning around to face me.

Immediately, I knew something was wrong.

Zayn’s eyes were rimmed with red and the pupils held a sadness and loneliness that broke my heart. His eyebrows were slightly raised in worry and his whole body was shaking.

“What happened?” I breathed out, this time, significantly less harsh. He shook his head and took another swig of beer.

“Zayn,” I whispered, coming up to him so that I could wrap my hands around his drink and pry it away from him, “What happened?” I repeated.

He quickly wrapped his arms around me and held my close to his chest. I lay my head against his pecs as he buried his face in my hair. I could feel his chest heave up and down as he breathed me in.

“I lost my chance.” He whispered hoarsely. His own voice sounded broken and sad. Moreso than I have ever heard it.

“What are you talking about?” I prodded, mimicking his actions and wrapping my arms around his long torso.

“I lost my chance and now I can never make it right.” His second statement gave out no more than the first had.

I rubbed circles into his back in hopes to soothe him. I remember my mom used to do that when I was upset and, as stupid as it seems, it helped.

“You’ll never leave me, right?” He asked me after a few moments of silence.

I paused.

I can’t promise him that. I can’t promise that one day I will have enough of this life that I won’t be able to take it. I can’t promise that he won’t push me over the edge.

“I love you,” I responded, uttering the words for the first time.

I was still mad at him, furious even, but our problems would have to, once again, be swept under the rug. Seeing Zayn like this made me know that something was wrong, instantly. He never acted like this.

I was braced for an argument, a fight. I was in no way prepared to deal with this. I suck at comforting people.

“Want to tell me what this is about?” I urged gently, my hands never leaving his back to let him know that I would be here.

“I l-love you, too.” He stuttered out, nervously.

“Zayn,” I pleaded. I can’t help him if I don’t know what’s going on.

“Darlin’, I don’t know what to do.” He started. I remained quiet, not willing to push him anymore than I already have.

“I’ve never had a good relationship with him, but that doesn’t mean I never wanted to. I love him.” I furrowed my brows at his cryptic explanation, but waited for the end before I opened my mouth.

“But now it’s too late to change anything.”

Zayn has this way of crying without actually crying. Like he shakes a little, but he doesn’t actually make a sound or shed a tear. It’s just not his style. It felt so weird, holding him in my arms instead of the other way around. But Zayn needed me, and I’m his girlfriend. I have to be there for him. It’s my job.

“I just got a call.” He continued on.

“My Dad died.”