Chapter 32: Panic

Chapter 32: Panic

I woke up a while later. The sunlight was streaming through the cracks in the blinds on the windows. The sun’s rays hitting my face and warming my bare skin. I was trapped to the bed by Zayn’s body.

He was lying right next to me. His bare chest was pressed against my side. The only thin fabric separating us was my bra. His leg was hooked around my legs, entangling them yet keeping them still at the same time.

One arm held onto my waist with an iron-like grip, fingers digging into my flesh. The other arm was across my chest, palm pressed against my shoulder and finger pads stuck to my skin. I turned my head a little to look at Zayn.

His face looked so peaceful. The usual angry lines that I was beginning to think were permanent disappeared. Light snores escaped his lips. I smiled to myself.

I tried to slip out of bed and put some clothes on, but Zayn had me locked down. His tight on me grew stronger, and slightly painful, once I started to wiggle. But he was still asleep. It’s like even unconscious Zayn needs me by his side all the time too.

“Zayn…” I whispered, trying to push against his chest. He dug his fingers into my flesh and pulled me as tightly as he could into his chest. His breathing was still slow and even, so he was still asleep.

I didn’t want him to wake up and find me in his bed, in his underwear, because I didn’t want him to think our relationship would be that easy.

I mean, I want to be with him, but there were parts of us that we needed to work out. Or, we could just do what we always do and sweep it under the rug.

I gave up and just rested my head against his tattooed chest. I guess find our near naked bodies entangled isn’t the worst thing that Zayn has seen throughout his years.

I let my hands rest against his abdomen. Slowly, my eyes began to shut and I drifted back off to sleep.

“Darlin’.” Someone cooed above me. I pretended not to hear whoever it was, and turned my head to the side.

“Come on, Hannah, wake up.” Someone chuckled. I felt a hand graze across my cheeks, but I slapped it away.

“No.” I mumbled, not willing to open my eyes.

“It’s quarter to one, Darlin’. Eleanor will have both my head and yours if we’re late.” He tugged at my shoulders gently. I opened my eyes a little.

“Wha-” I rubbed my eyes and sat up slowly. A now dressed Zayn was sitting right in front of me, a beautiful smile gracing his features.

“And you gotta get changed. I won’t let you go out of this apartment wearing… that.” I met his eyes, which were staring down at my body with a black lust. I rolled my eyes and crawled off the bed.

I let out a gasp as he grabbed my ankle and pulled me back to him. I watched with large eyes as he climbed over me and leaned down into my face.

“I think we have a few minutes to spare…” He smirked. I took the chance to slide right out from underneath him and roll onto the floor. Just as I was walking out his bedroom door, he came up behind me.

“You’re going to have to try harder than that, Zaynie.” I patted his cheek and headed down to where my stuff was.

“You’re lucky that you look so damn good in your knickers or else I would’ve taken you over my knee for calling me that.” He growled behind me. I picked out some clothes and began to walk down to the guest room.

“What, you don’t like it when I call you Zaynie?” I asked with an innocent smile.

“Stop provoking me.” He warned, but I could tell he was kidding by the goofy grin on his face.

So I guess that’s it? Just another one of our problems pushed under the rug?

I quickly threw on my clothes and brushed on some make up. Deciding my hair looked fine the way it was, I ran a brush through it but didn’t bother with much else. I am graced will blonde, straight hair from my Father’s side. All of his sisters have the same hair. We never have to straighten it or detangle it.

My mother and my sister, on the other hand, have beautiful curly hair, but it’s always a mess to deal with. The bathroom almost always smells like burnt hair, straightening iron, detangler and conditioner.

When I walked out, Zayn was texting away on his phone. I walked passed him and into the kitchen. I began to poke my head into the cabinets and the fridge, but I pause once I felt his presence behind me.

“What’re you doing?” He asked, looking up from his phone with furrowed brows. I shrugged and went back to my search.

“I feel like I should bring something to El’s, you know? Don’t people usually bring dessert or something. Maybe a bottle of wine or a bouquet of flowers…” I remember whenever my parents went out, that’s what they brought with them as a gift to their hosts.

Zayn’s chuckle behind me made me think otherwise.

“It’s a nice thought, but I think Eleanor would rather you didn’t bring anything.”

“And why’s that?” I frowned, looking up at him.

“Because the dessert would be burnt, the wine sour and the flowers dead.”

“Hey!” I reached out and slapped his arm, “I’m not THAT bad!” He laughed as he slipped his phone into his pocket.

“Darlin’, you can’t deal with that homemaker shit if you tried.” He shook his head and linked our arms together.

“C’mon. We should get going.”

We arrived at Eleanor and Louis’s around 2:30, which was right on time, apparently. Just as we were about to knock on their apartment door, Zayn pulled me back against his chest and brought his lips to my ear.

“Behave.” He demanded lowly. I shuffled away from him and knocked on the door.

“Not with that curly-haired motherfucker there.”

“Oh goody! Everyone’s here!” Eleanor clapped as she opened the door. Immediately I was yanked inside, with Zayn close behind me. I glanced over my shoulder, catching the glare cast my way at my comment, but I ignored it.

“Everyone?” I asked, glancing into the living room at the three other people seated.

Louis was lounged in a recliner, his feet dangling over the armrests and his head bopping back and forth as he talked excitedly. Across from him was Liam, who was seated on the sofa. He sat causally, totally at ease in the environment, his legs stretched out in the way that all guys sit, his arm resting on the back of the couch. Danielle was nuzzled into his side. Her hair crazy, but beautiful and her makeup impeccably done. She still looked nervous and fearful, but I guess she’d be like that forever. It can be unsettling, surrounded by so many gang members at once.

“Yep.” Eleanor ushered me towards the spot next to Danielle, “We’re doing a couple thing. Like a triple date. Now that Danielle’s here and you’ve calmed down a bit, I finally have girls to hang out with!” I decided to ignore her blatant insult towards the way I used to act around Zayn. That’s the thing with Eleanor, she means well, but not everything comes out so polite.

Immediately, Eleanor disappeared into the kitchen and started to rustle around as she finished up the meal. I laced my fingers with Zayn’s once he plopped down next to me.

“So, what’re Niall and Haz up to? You heard anything lately?” Liam asked Zayn and Louis. They began to chatter away while I remained quiet.

Maybe today would be nice. Just like if we were a normal couple, we would go to another couple’s house and hang out with friends.

“Yeah, I know we need to talk about some, er, things, but Eleanor said she preferred if we just stuck to having a couples’ lunch rather than all of us over.” Louis explained awkwardly. Danielle met my eyes, we both knew what he meant. Eleanor didn’t want Harry in her home.

“Can’t blame her.” I muttered. Zayn looked in my direction and narrowed his eyes. I knew I was stepping on the line.

“Neither can I.” Danielle added quietly. My head immediately snapped in her direction. That’s the first I’ve ever heard Dani mutter a word in the presence of any of the boys.

“What did you just say?!” Liam snapped at her, his voice rising. At the sound of Liam’s voice, Eleanor came from the kitchen.

“Nothing.” Danielle whispered, her voice trembling.

“Damn right it was nothing. I don’t want you speaking of any of the other boys like that. Louis may allow it, Zayn may allow it, but I will not tolerate disrespect. Do you understand me?” He grabbed Danielle roughly by the shoulders and shook her. Silent tears rolled down her cheeks, but she just nodded.

“Hey, hey. Louis doesn’t allow disrespect in his household either. If you’re going to talk to your woman like that, then don’t do it under my roof.” Eleanor butted in, staring pointedly at Liam. He widened his eyes and glanced over to Louis.

“Excuse me?” He seethed, standing up. Zayn and Louis exchanged glances before our host stood from his comfy position.

“That’s enough. Let’s just let this topic go. Eleanor, get back in that damn kitchen because if I have to put you back in there, we’re going to have a problem.” He ordered. She rolled her eyes, but complied, turning back and stomping back into the kitchen. Liam settled back in, but kept a tight grip on Danielle.

Subtly, I grazed over her body, her bare arms and legs looked free of bruises, which meant that thus far Liam had been treating her well enough. Still, things can change.

“One more comment like that, Danielle, and you’re getting it.” He whispered, not intending for me to hear. I looked forward and thought about what I should do. The poor girl had just been feeding off my energy; this is my fault.

I remembered back when Zayn lost it after seeing me with Andrew. I remembered angry he got in the ally. The violence. The pain. The punishment.

It had been Liam to step in and calm him down, urging him that continuing on would only kill me.

“Leave it. Liam won’t hurt her.” Zayn whispered in my ear, knowing exactly what I was thinking. I looked at him, checking the honesty behind the statement. Seeing that he seemed pretty truthful, I decided to keep my trap shut… for now.

“I’m going to go help Eleanor in the kitchen.” I announced, standing up from my spot.

“Help? Darlin’, I’m pretty sure you’ll make it worse.” Zayn nudged me to get my attention, earning chuckles from the two other boys in the room.

“For your sake, I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear that,” I snapped at him. He just laughed at me, shaking his head at my threat. Am I really that non-intimidating?

“Danielle, would you care to join me and keep me out of trouble, since I’m so fucking horrible in the kitchen?” I asked her politely, glancing at Liam. He didn’t seem to care whether or not she came with me, so I figured he might not be as controlling as Zayn had once been- just slightly short-tempered.

“Sure.” She responded softly. Carefully pushing herself off the sofa, earning a kiss on the cheek from Liam in the process. Her cheeks blushed a bright red under her tan skin and a shy smile spread across her broad lips.

At least when he touched her, she seemed to enjoy it, unlike how it had been for me and Zayn at the beginning.

I grabbed her hand and pulled her into the kitchen, finding Eleanor sitting on the counter, breathing in and out slowly.

“El? EL! You ok?” I rushed up to her, waving a hand in front of her face. She didn’t look at me, just at the wall before her, counting to ten over and over again as her breath came out in puffs.

“What’s happening?” I asked Danielle. She calmly stepped forward and wrapped her long fingers around Eleanor’s wrist.

“I think she’s having a panic attack. Go fetch Louis.” Danielle ordered, remaining calm. She wetted a cloth and began dabbing Eleanor’s face with it. I spun around and raced back into the living room.

“Well, I can’t say I’m pissed or anything, just slightly frustrated. He knew exactly what-”

“GUYS!” I interrupted Zayn mid-sentence. He looked up at me with a glare.

“Darlin’, it’s rude to interrupt and you’re in no place to piss-”

“LOUIS!” I interrupted again. I watched Zayn clench his fists angrily and quickly stand up.

“What?” He frowned at me, surprised and aggravated that I was talking to him.

“It’s Eleanor. She’s-” I didn’t finish my sentence. At the simple sound of her name, Louis took off for the kitchen.

"Where's Danielle?" Liam asked, his eyes searching for his woman, obviously thinking she was in danger too.

“What’s happened?” Zayn asked me, following Liam and me into the kitchen.