Chapter 1

October 9 (Night before the Kyubi attack)
Fourth Hokage's POV  

I was sitting at my desk signing papers when one of my ANBU suddenly appeared on one knee.

"Lord Hokage, there is a large mass of chakra heading this way." He told me.

"How far away is it?" I asked him as I stood up from my desk.

"About twenty-two hours away, sir." He responded.

"This is not good. We need to evacuate the village immediately. Gather all available ANBU and Jonin and meet me in front of the tower in twenty minutes. Anyone who is late will be punished." I ordered.

"Yes sir." He said before disappearing in a swirl of leaves.

I hopped out the window and ran to my mansion. When I got there, I noticed that my wife had forgotten to put up the seal barriers.

"Kushina. Kushina where are you?" I yelled from the living room. When she didn't answer, I ran upstairs and found her in the nursery stroking her swollen stomach. "Kushina, the village is about to be evacuated. There's a giant mass of chakra headed this way and we need to clear the city." I said grabbing the diaper bag from the corner.

"Where will we go Minato?" She asked as I helped her stand.

"There's an abandoned village a few hours from here. You'll have to go there until the thing is gone. I've already sealed our most important things into storage scrolls, so all that's left is to leave. I have a meeting in five minutes. I'm going to send Kakashi and Rin to get you when it's time to go. Okay?"

"Alright, now help me get downstairs." She demanded softly.

After scooping her into my arms, used my Flash Step to teleport us to the living room where I sat her on the futon. "I'll be back, love." I said before teleporting to the balcony of the tower where everyone was waiting below. "Listen up. There is a giant mass of chakra heading our way. My guess is the that Kyubi has finally woken up. We need to evacuate the village before it gets here. There is an abandoned underground village a few hours North of here. I want everyone to go there until I give the okay to come back. We have less then twenty hours before that thing gets here and I want to get this done as quick as possible. Start with the civilians and genin first then the rest of you will follow. I want any pregnant women to be near a medic at all times. I want this village cleared in five hours. You have your orders. Dismissed!"

"Hai!"

"Sensei, what do you want us to do?"

"Rin, I want you and Kakashi to go to the mansion and make sure my wife and son make it out okay. If Kushina goes into labor, get her to the safest place possible until she delivers. I have packed everything she might need in scrolls, including the warm water. Now go, I have somethings I need to take care of." I told them sternly.

"Hai sensei."

I watched as the two of them disappeared into the night before going back into the tower to finish the seal I was working on. When I finally finished, I put the seal in my pocket after adding a bit of chakra to it. If my guess was right and Kyubi was the massive chakra source, I would not live to see Naruto's first birthday. As much as it pains me to do this, I knew I had to for the sake of the village. I just hope Kushina would forgive me for leaving her and Naruto.

"I know what your thinking and don't think you should go through with it." Sarutobi-san said coming out of the shadows. "Let me take on Kyubi. You need to be here for your wife and son."

"I can't asked you to do that Sarutobi-san. It's my job as Hokage to do whatever I can to protect my village." I protested.

"Minato, I have served my purpose on this earth. You're expecting a child soon and you need to be there to watch him grow. Please Minato-kun, let me do this for you." Hiruzen begged me.

"I'm making no promises." I finally said after a moment of silence.