Chapter 9

"Wow Naruto-kun, you have all four affinities, that's very rare in the ninja world. It looks like we're going to need some heavy duty training." Kakashi-sensei told us.

"Can we start now? Maybe with something light?" Shino asked quietly.

"Sure. Let's start with three laps around the field, followed by thirty push-ups, sit ups, and jumping jacks. Then you'll take a five minute break and go from there." Kakashi explained taking out a pair of weights. "And let's not forget the weights. I'm also going to train with you since I'm also training to be a Guardian. We will train everyday except on Sundays. Sunday is your day to rest and have fun. Now, let's get started."

"Oh crud." I groaned when I see the devious look in his eyes.

FOUR HOURS LATER

After four hours of nonstop training, we dropped to the ground in exhaustion. After Kakashi-niisan left for his mission, we continued our training late into the night. The next morning, we did the same routine again until Kakashi-niisan returned around noon.

"Man Kakashi-niisan is a freaking slave driver." I panted trying to catch my breath.

"I-I second that Naruto-kun." Hinata groaned as she watched the sun set.

"Kakashi-san surprised us all." Shino replied.

"Never judge a book by its cover. Now, why don't all of you head home while I give my report to Hokage-sama." Kakashi was the only one unaffected by the training we had just done.

"Okay. Come on Hinata-chan, I'll walk you home." I said helping Hinata to her feet.

"I will walk with you Naruto-san. You can never be too careful in your own village." Shino said as he stood up and brushed off his clothes.

"Thanks Shino. See ya at home Nii-san." I yelled walking off the training field.

After making sure Hinata-chan and Shino made it home safely, I paid old man Sarutobi a visit before finally heading home for the night.

For the next three months, Kakashi trained us into the ground. Everyday the three of us went home barely able to walk. Kakashi-sensei had his own training to do at the ANBU headquarters with the current Guardian.

THREE DAYS LATER

Kakashi spent the last three days training us as a group and finally decided to start traing us individually.  Kakashi and I were currently sparring in a hidden training field.

"Again."

I panted as I sparred with a clone of Kakashi on the surface of a lake, my weights forcing me to focus both on staying afloat and on the clone that was pressing me just a bit harder than I could handle, forcing me to either grow stronger of fight smarter.

Kakashi had found quickly that I learned and grew faster than almost anyone he had met, but only with hands on training. The one time that Kakashi had left me alone to read a scroll, he came back to find I was ready to tear my hair out in frustration. It hadn't even taken five minutes once Kakashi had explained it to me. That's how I had learned the kunai shadow clone jutsu.

"That's enough Naruto, let's take a break." Said the real Kakashi as he dispelled the clone, pausing at a memory he received. 'Hmm, we will have to fix that...'

I trudged back to solid land and collapsed into the sand of the small lake, my face burying into the tiny rocks.

"Sit up, that doesn't look comfortable." Stated Kakashi in a serious tone. He watched as I flipped, laying on my back as he sat down next to me. "A few flaws here and there. Nothing terrible for a genin. Your speed and strength are getting close to where we want them."

"Hey, how come I'm not training more with shadow clones?" I asked as I sat up.

"It's a great trick, but until you have a solid foundation, there is no building. Your peak is only as high as your base is wide." Stated Kakashi, quoting Jiraiya. "Once we have you up to speed on everything else, we will start."

"Fine." I replied reluctantly. "Do you think you made the right choice? Picking me over Sasuke?"

With Kakashi being the only one to possess the Sharingan, he would have been the perfect teacher for sasuke.

"No." Stated Kakashi quickly, causing me to look at the cycloptic jounin. "I know I did. You could already give some chunin a run for their money, Sasuke doesn't even come close to your learning curve."

I smiled, my eyes casting out over the lake. "Thanks sensei."

"Don't thank me yet, it's time for reflex training."

We spent the rest of the day going over fighting styles, scenarios, and jutsu. It was almost dark by the time Kakashi finally let me go.

"Good work Naruto. You've improved greatly. Keep this up and you'll be hokage in no time. Get some rest, I have to report to the hokage." He daid before disappearing in a puff of smoke.