Chapter 12

After a dramatic dinner and I told everyone that I was going to make sure Inari was okay, before I went to take first watch and train a bit. It wasn't long before I found Inari, sitting on the roof of the house. I practiced thinning my chakra as he gathered his thoughts together.

"Naruto-san, why did you become a ninja?" He asked tugging at his overalls.

I stopped what I was doing and looked at him. "At first it was to get everyone to treat me with respect, but after I learned why a few people hate me, I vowed to prove that I wasn't a monster and to protect those I care about. When we realized that this mission was a dangerous one, you guys became important to me. Even though your grandpa lied about the mission, I didn't want to give up on him. I wanted to help your country in any way that I could, and that meant getting rid of Gato for good. You must understand Inari, that being a ninja isn't about being a hero, or knowing a lot of jutsu, it's about protecting others even if it means doing things we don't like. We want to help you guys get back what was taken from you. Please let me." Inari looked at me with a sad smile on his face.

"Okay aniki. I'm sorry about what I said earlier. I promise I won't give you anymore grief. Please help us." Inari cried into my chest as I wrapped my arms around him.

"I promise Inari, I will save your village." I vowed.

After putting Inari to bed, I made sure my teammates were okay before going to bed myself. The next morning, I woke up to find Tsunami cleaning the room.

"Oh, Naruto-kun, don't mind me. I'm just cleaning up in here. Your teammates have already left with my father." She said picking up the clothes I had on yesterday off the floor.

"That's okay Tsunami-san. I'd rather stay here for a bit and make sure Gato doesn't try anything. Is there anything you need help with?" I asked picking up Shino's clothes to add to the growing pile.

"This is the last of everything, but if you want to get started on lunch...." She trailed off. "Wait, can you cook?"

I looked out the window blushing. "My dad taught me a few things."

"That's great Naruto. Make whatever you want." She smiled at me, leaving the room.

I made ten Shadow Clones and told them to surround the house as I made my way to the kitchen. I found enough ingredients to make rice, tempura and onigiri. I was suddenly startled when one of my Shadow Clones' memories hit me. I ran upstairs to Inari's room, where I found Inari and his mother sitting on the bed.

"I need you guys to hide. A few of Gato's thugs are heading this way and I need the two of you out of harm's way." I explained as I listened for Gato's thugs.

"What will you do aniki?"

I waited until both of them were safely in the attic before whispering, "I'm going to stop them. I'll leave a few Shadow Clones here after their taken care of. I'm going to help my team after things are done here. Don't come out until I come get you." I said before taking off towards the living room where the thugs were destroying things. "Hey bastards, looking for someone?"

"What the hell?! Where'd you come from?"

"I'm going to cut you into ribbons brat!" The second one drew his sword.

"Bah," I waved my hand. "You won't land a single hit."

I narrowed my eyes at the thugs as he charged towards me. Focusing my chakra in my fist, I waited until he was a few feet away before throwing my fist. Being the dumbass that he was, he didn't think to dodge it and was hit in the face and sent flying into a wall. With a burst of speed, I knocked the other one into the same wall before quickly tying them up. Two of my clones went to grab Tsunami and Inari as I went out the door to go help my teammates.

I hid in the trees that overlooked the bridge. I saw Hinata standing in front of Tazuna, in her Gentle-Fist stance. I noticed that Shino was having a hard time fighting a masked ninja but was still holding his own. I decided to stay in the trees and attack until I came up with a plan. It didn't take long for me to come up with one. I took an explosive note wrapped around a kunai, infused it with Kurama's chakra and threw it.

"Shino close your eyes!" I screamed.

Reacting on instinct, Shino closed his eyes just before the explosion of purple chakra. It destroyed most of the masked ninja's mirrors and sent him flying to the opposite side of the bridge. I was proud when Shino used a lightening jutsu to paralyze him before he could move. After Shino made sure the fake hunter ninja was out for the count, I moved to help Kakashi.

"Oi brat! Stop playing games and come out and fight!" Zabuza screamed into the trees.

"Do you think I'm stupid enough to actually fight you head on? You're an S-Ranked missing ninja for crying out loud!" I reasoned with him as I came out of my hiding spot. I stood next to Shino, while still protecting Hinata and Tazuna.

"Your battle is not with my students Zabuza!" Kakashi snarled as he went through hand signs for his Raikari.

"So, this is what it comes to. The Demon of the Mist losing to a bunch of brats and a one-eyed cyclops. You're just a pathetic as they are." Gato's whiny voice sounded from across the bridge.

I could hear Shino's agitation through his bugs. Hinata was so angry, she activated her Byakugan without any seals. I could feel Kurama stirring in my gut but managed to calm him down before his chakra could start leaking.

"Well, Kakashi, looks like we're no longer enemies. Let's take this out this pig so we can get out here." Zabuza grabbed his sword and took off into the crowd of thugs, heading straight towards Gato.

"What are you standing there for! Get them!" The fat man panicked and took off running. He didn't get very far before my hidden clones had him tied up and gagged.