sigh

she sighed a lot, a small puff of air. she always sighed when he spoke, and he didn't like it. he didn't know what she meant with that sigh, the way her lips formed an "o" and and her eyes rolled to the sky. her brow would crease and she made the most annoying face after, a little smirk in the lips and a slight pout, high eyes and lean cheeks. 

the sigh was the reason he hated her, the sigh was what she did now.she did not sigh before at his words. 

she used to giggle and hug him and plant a kiss on his cheek. when her lips used to form an "o" it was because she wanted to kiss him. when her eyes used to roll to the sky, it was in laughter, and she would double over and smile so big. when she used to crease her brow, it would be in concentration at the sunday crossword, and then she would ask him and he would answer correctly, and she would squeal and say she had the smartest boyfriend in the entire world. her little smirk was for teasing jokes, and her pout was for feigned sadness. her high eyes were for when she was feeling beautiful, and lean cheeks were for when she was posing for a silly picture. 

but now, they were all for that sigh, that annoying sigh, that would not get out of his mind. the way she stared at him with contempt, and just sighed and looked away. the way her entire body deflated when she sighed, the way her shoulders slouched in annoyance. 

he wanted to kill her for that sigh, but really, he just wanted the sigh to go away. he wanted to play with her hair rather than watch her twirl it in disgust at his pathetic attempts at talking. 

and that day, when he yelled at her so loudly for her sigh, when he reprimanded her with bullets of words, firing shot after shot, the entire city turned and saw the girl and the boy yelling in the street. 

and then the little "o" in her lips was for a deep breath of air. her eyes rolled to the sky so that her tears would not flow down her cheeks. the crease in her brow was suppressing sadness, and her fingers would go up and try to force her eyes to dry. her little smirk was a shield to the anger. her high eyes were looking away from the boy she really, really loved once. her lean cheeks were her sucking in air between sobs, as the boy screamed at her.

oh, how he screamed. she cried and cried, and then fell to crouch on her knees, her face in the sleeves of her new white peacoat, staining the fresh new fabric with black smudges. 

and the boy did not stop yelling until she had forgotten why she loved him. he did not stop until she no longer would even acknowledge him with her sighs. 

instead, he stopped when she looked up and slapped him as hard as she could, which was not hard because she couldn't harm him. she loved him too much, even though she couldn't even look him in the eyes. and then she ran, she turned and she ran, and every thud of her boots into the sidewalk was a nail driven into the board in his head, shutting off his love forever. 

and the whole city watched as the girl ran, scarf trailing, and the boy stood. 

and then, he rolled his eyes up to the heavens, and everyone held their breath to hear him scream at the unfair fate he'd been dealt.

but, instead, his lips formed an "o" and his brow furrowed and he sighed.

he looked at his lost love.

and sighed.