Chapter 2

- Kenji's POV -

I was taking Duke around the arena at a steady trot after just completing a clear round on the jump course my mom had set up for me. She though I needed more of a challenge and changed the course and raised some jumps higher then the normal hight I usually jump at.

I pulled on the reins slightly and brought Duke a slow walk to cool him off after a long work out and gave my self a breather as well.

Duke was an amazing jumper, he loved it and so did I. My mom bought him as an off the track race horse, very young with lots of energy, a beautiful bay thoroughbred gelding. Me and my mom have been training him to jump over the past few years we've had him and to help get rid of some of the bad racing habits he picked up like taking off when your riding him. He's come a long way.

"You two were looking great out there Kenji." My mom said as I pulled Duke to a halt in front if her. I pat his neck letting him know he did good, kicked my feet out from the stirrups and dismounted.

"You think?"

"I do. Your a good match for that horse." Duke wasn't my horse he's my moms, me and sister share a buckskin quarter horse named Fallout but my mom says Duke is more experienced and be a better fit for me then Fallout but she said not to tell my sister that. 

We have two horses In our stable including three others our neighbours across the street board at our barn, they come by and ride their horses when ever they want and pay us to stable and feed their horses and use our land.

I walked Duke back to the barn to untack, groom and turn him out for the day, he deserved it after a good ride.

"Ken I really think you should enter a show." My mom said as she followed me back to the barn, she still wont give up on trying to get me into showing.

"Mom you know I don't like being judged on my riding."

"Its more then just being judged in the show ring hun, I've been showing all my life and I loved it. I know you will to."

"I think I'll pass." I unbuckled Duke's bridle and slipped on his halter, I put him on the cross ties and went to take off his saddle.

"Well I can't force you to."

"Exactly."

She sighed. "Anyways I have a meeting with a client about a new stable hand, he should be here soon." She checked her watch for the time.

"Stable hand?" I questioned confused. Taking care of five horses it isn't an over load of work, why do we need a stable hand?

"I sponsored this young man named Mathew as part of his probation. He comes and works here for us and if he does well and there's no problems he will be off his probation, I have a meeting with his probation office Clint and he should be here any minute."

I looked at her bug eyed. "Are you crazy!"

"Don't yell around the horses." She said sternly.

I shook my head is disbelief, rolling my eyes at what my mother had said. "And you think bringing some delinquent criminal to be our stable hand will keep him out of jail?"

"Hun look, Ill explain all this later alright." She kissed my head and started walking back towards the house. "Clint will be here soon so I need to get everything sorted out. And when your done, I need you to come back to the house and help me clean out the guest room."

"Dont tell me." I looked at her with a blank expression, if she says what Im afraid she will say I think I'll scream.

"He will be staying with us so we need to clear out the room for him."

And there it was...