Chapter 8

- Kenji's POV -

I drove up the drive way when I noticed there was a truck and horse trailer parked in front of our house. I pulled up beside it, turned off the ignition in my car and jumped out in search for my mom.

I walked to the barn and saw my mom talking to some other lady who I didn't recognize. A new boarder maybe? I approached them curious as to what they were talking about.

"Ah Kenji there you are." My mom said as I walked up to them. "This is Mrs. Kirkland, she has brought over a horse for us."

"That explains the trailer in the drive way. Want me to go bring your horse in for you ma'am?"

"Oh no dear, that's not my horse, he's yours."

I looked at my mom confused. "What do you mean?"

"I rescued this Morgan gelding from a farm, he was in rough shape and I knew he needed a good home." My mom explained to me. "His name is Shaymin. I figured that maybe you would be interested in working with him, training him, and if you ever wanted to, showing him."

"So your saying he's like legit my horse?"

"I figured it was time you had your own horse, and he was registered as a jumper. Loves it."

"Oh my gosh, thank you mom!" I ran up and hugged her, I was thrilled to hear that my mom got my me own horse. "But wait, what about Duke and Fallout?"

"Fallout will be your sisters horse, and I figured it was time I got back in the saddle, so that meant you needed your own horse. But. He needs a lot of work."

"What kind of work?"

"We'll we rescued him, he was in rough shape so he will need a lot of nurturing to bring him back to good health, I figured you could take on the responsibility to train him, he hasn't been ridden in a couple years and he's pretty green but I figured you two would make a great pair. Are you up for it?"   

"Yes of course."

"Go get him then." My mom and Mrs. Kirkman smiled at me as I excitedly grabbed a lead rope and walked over the to trailer to unload my horse.

I opened the doors and slowly walked into the trailer carful not to startle him. He was a beautiful horse. I clipped the lead rope to his halter and back him out the trailer slowly. When he was finally outside I got good look at him, he had two white socks on his back hind legs and a little white snip on his nose. He was relatively skinny which worried me a bit but my mom did say I would need to help nurture him back to good health.

I was not one to give up on a horse and send them to a slaughter house, I would do anything I could to help this horse get back to health and start riding him.

"Who's horse?" Mathew asked as he walked up to me with a wheelbarrow full of hay.

"Mine. My mom just rescued him. His name is Shaymin." I softly pat his neck with a smile on my face.

"What, she buy him from a meat truck?"

I just stared at him in response.

"Great just means more work." Mathew picked up the wheelbarrow and walked off towards the barn. I sighed and followed him with Shay by my side, no stupid comment of his was going to ruin my mood right now. I was to happy to know I finally had my own horse.

[Picture is Shaymin, Kenji's horse]