Chapter 3

- Kenji's POV -

I flopped down on my bed annoyed and with an angry grunt. After my mom finished her meeting with that Clint person she made me and my sister Samara clean out the guest room for our new house guest who will be coming tomorrow.

I made her explain to us why she was bringing this kid here and all she said was she wanted to help him get a new start at life. That everyone deserves a second chance. To me that sounds like bull shit. He's a criminal, he has a record and she thinks someone who was supposed to be behind bars deserves a second a chance? I don't think so. Someone who choose to break the law, especially more then once is not a person who cares about "having a fresh start to life."  If they did, they wouldn't have chosen to make that decision again. Clearly this Mathew kid knew he would get in trouble and now he's getting off easy by mucking stalls instead of spending time behind bars.

I was not looking forward to having Mathew living in our house, working in the barn, around our horses, how would our boarders feel knowing theres a criminal handing their horses. I don't even know what he did to get on probation and I feel like I shouldn't want to, all I know is, he has had run ins with the law before and he is labeled as this "problem kid" and this so called program is supposed to help troubled youth. Sure it sounds like a good thing but having him come here? Just sounds like a terrible idea.

I rolled onto my side and closed my eyes, thinking about how everything will go down tomorrow. Maybe Im being to quick to judge, he might not be that bad and just made a mistake, I don't know him or his past or he could be a complete asshole and a full on criminal. I Guess Ill have wait and find out.

•••

I woke up early saturday morning, friday was my last exam and Im officially on summer break which means more horse back riding time, well minus the days Im at work.

I decided to jump in the shower and tame my bed head before I did my morning chores at the stable. Kinda pointless I know, shower in the morning just to get all dirty again later, makes total sense.

Once dressed and my stomach yelling at me for food I went downstairs to the kitchen and grabbed a bowl of cereal and a glass of orange juice, I sat by the TV and turned it on, flipping through channels looking for something decent to watch while I ate my breakfast.

Samara soon made her way down stairs looking grumpy as usual, I swear she's always on her period. She grabbed a muffin and sat down beside me.

"Good your both up." My mom said as she walked in the house, kicking off her shoes. "Mathew will be here at eleven and I wanted you both to be awake for When he arrives."

"Oh yay." I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

"Stop with the attitude." My mom came over, turned off the TV and stood in front of us. "You may not think this is a big deal but it is, your not in his position, you would hope that if you ever got your self down this deep someone would be willing to help you get back on your feet."

"Well mom, considering Im not an idiot, or a criminal, I don't think I need to worry about that." I got up from the couch and walked passed her, threw my dishes in the sink, I bent down to grab my shoes and looked up at her as she gave me a very angry glance. "What are you going to invite a murder to Diner too." I got up and left without hearing what else she had to say.

I knew it was rude of me to storm out like that, and for what I said, but the whole idea of some delinquent misfit living under the same roof as us doesn't come across as the smartest thing to do, so I don't get why my mom doesn't see that either. 

Pushing my thoughts a side I went to the barn to start on my morning chores of giving the horses hay and topping up their water.

It wasn't long till a rusted up navy blue chevy truck drove up the driveway, I watched from the barn as a not so friendly looking person climbed out from the drivers side. 

He had sunglasses on that hid eyes so you couldn't tell where he was looking, he had some type of dark coloured work boots, dark ripped jeans and an un pleasant look on his face to match. He reached back into his truck and grabbed a bag, slung it over his shoulder and walked up to house. Needless to say Im surprised he has any possessions worth bringing let alone decent clothing and a driver license, his truck is a dead beat more less like him but I figured he would of had his license suspended, then again I know nothing about the justice system.

I was dreading the moment where my mom brings him over to the barn to show him around. I grabbed a lead rope from the hook on the wall and decided to start turning the horses out to the pasture and distract myself, I needed to get started on the stalls anyways, maybe I'll get lucky and my mom will see Im busy and introduce me later or even better, one of the horses will spook and run him over or Samara will try to pull the moves on him and they will run away and get hitched.

A boy can dream.

Our neighbours horse Cisco was the last to go into the pasture, I opened his stall and clipped the lead rope to his blue halter and started walking him out from his stall when my mom and Mathew walked in.

"Oh perfect, Mathew this is my son Kenji." My mom said gesturing in my direction. He had his sunglasses off as I watched as his eyes glanced to me with a blank expression on his face. "I'll let Kenji show you around the barn and tell you what your jobs will be. Once you boys are finished you can come back to the house and you can get settled In your room."

"Wait, Mom I-"

"Kenji. I don't want to hear a word." She said to me sternly with the mom look that screams 'don't even or you'll be in serious shit later.' I sighed and rolled my eyes at her, she pat Mathews shoulder before leaving the barn with just me, a horse and a criminal. I hope he knows if he tries anything I have a 2000 pound animal standing right beside me.

[Picture is Samara]