Chapter 10

- Kenji's POV -

"Matt look. Im sorry about what I said." After Mathew kissed me he stormed out of the barn but I needed to talk to him, I had to make things right so I went to find him. I needed to set things straight.

He was right. I was acting so pathetic while he was dealing with real and serious problems. I was being selfish and rude and I let my anger get the best of me.

"Sure you are." He said. I found him down by the pasture watching the horses graze in the field.

"I am and if I could take it all back I would."

"You just don't get it." He started to walk away but I grabbed his arm and stopped him.

"Your right I don't. I don't know whats it like to be in a foster home or in jail or on probation but I know life isn't perfect. My mom told me that she brought you here to give you a new start at life and that everyone deserves a second chance. I didn't believe her at first and If Im being honest, I didn't want to. I didn't think you deserved one. It wasn't till my mom bought Shay and I was giving him a second chance at new life just like she is with you that I finally understood."

He stayed silent. I let go of his arm but he just stood there taking in what I had said as if lost in thought.

I shoved my hands in the front pockets of my jeans "You know, there's still some stalls that need to be mucked out." It was time I realized that he deserves this new start to life, and to get off his probation, and I wanted him to know that to.

Matt turned around to look at me and softly smiled. I smiled back and started to walk back to the barn.

"I never thanked you." He said to me

"For what?" I stopped and turned to look at him.

"Just sometimes you gotta say thanks."

•••

As Matt was getting to work mucking out the stalls that weren't finished, I went around putting hay in each stall and filling all the water buckets.

I was still confused on why Matt kissed me but I didn't have the guts to bring it up to him, we were finally starting to get on good terms and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize
that.

Plus I'd rather not have him yell at me again.

"I'm gonna start bringing the horses in." I said after I turned the valve on the hose off.

"Need any help?"

"No its okay, you still need to finish that last stall anyways." Matt nodded his head and went back to work while I grabbed my favourite lead rope and went to the pasture to start bringing the horses in.

After putting the last of the horses back in their stalls I went to check on Shaymin. I was excited to start working with him soon and seeing how he is over a couple fences. When my mom told me he was registered as a jumper I was super excited. Working with Duke and Fallout was great, but now that I finally have a horse to call my own I didn't want to wait any longer. I wanted to start working with him the moment I was told he was mine but I knew I had to take things slow.

"You think you can get to riding him?" I heard Matt ask while I put a blanket on shay.

"I know I can." I buckled shay's blanket and gave him a pat on the neck. "It will just take some time."

"You know I didn't mean it when I said I hated you." I didn't say anything, just softly pat Shay's neck. "I was angry but ... I did mean it when I kissed you."

I looked over to him, he was playing with his sunglasses looking down seeming to avoid looking at me at all costs. "But why did you?" I asked.

"I don't know, it just sort of happened but it was stupid."

"It wasn't, well maybe a little. But I know something stupider. I liked it."