Chapter 3: Cliff's opening

Andrew

The duo followed the van along the dirt roads that lace themselves though the cover of thick pine trees. Slipping through the branches they keep up a steady but manageable pace on the higher slopes and cliffs half a mile away. Often traveling from one place to another by foot over a horse had not only made their stamina pools deeper and honed their bodies but saved them back on a good deal of coin, coin they did not have to spare because there lack of taking up any official jobs.

The sinister van having led them out of the forest and into a group of cole black mountains they find themselves reaching the tail end of the forest. Leaping out into a large plane of rocky land that runs along the steep cliffs which act as a natural border line between the green forest and group of mountains shrouded by a cloud of mist the great beyond around them oozed a sense of awe and mystery as they lay in the blanket of fog as high as the sky. He had first thought it rain at first until they were only a few miles away but still heard no rainfall.

Being out in the open he and Natalie slow down their pace as to keep more distance between them and the van. The open space made them feel somewhat exposed to the unwanted attention of the kidnappers as they tailed them.

Reaching higher up the vertical coverage of the mountains released a knot in their guts he barely had the time to acknowledge. The van zig-zagged it's way through the old roads caved through the peaks and the volume of the mist slowly increasing with each step it became safer for Natalie and Andrew to move forward without their line of sight truly lining up with the vans.

Even with all these obstructions, Natalie had her sights locked to them using her purple eyes. Andrew seeing this was distracting her from looking on ahead took it upon himself to be her eyes on their path forward.

As they were reaching the top half of the mountain's peak he felt a strange tremor. With his eyes narrowing his ears burn up just so he could be certain that he did not miss hear the bizarre noise.

Looking at the peak of the mountain they were on at first he saw nothing but the mist. No sound came to him. Just the crunching of their feet as they sprinting over the black coal like mountain face.

Summing it up as nothing Andrew again points his eyes front to see the mountain top and what laid ahead of it. However, the moment he reached the top his eyes grew wide with shock.

Before his body could register anything he latched onto Natalie's wrist just in front of him and came skidding to a halt. In shock, Natalie turns around to Andrew with fuming eyes. Ignoring it he pulled her down into a crouch along with himself before pointing to the slope just ahead of them. Natalie followed his pointed finger with his eyes only to share the same face as his.

Although it was hard to see in the mist there was clearly a gigantic figure moving across the face of the mountain. Its body made of black rock; its four rhino like legs slowly stomp onto the land giving off tremors with each stride. With a block like a body that stood at twenty stories high and twenty-five wide. And a head that shaped like that of a hammerhead shark with the odd moss and plant growing out of its edges.

It was like watching a cliff face move along the land. But for all its size and sheer presence, it did not seem to make a sound. If it was not for its tremoring stomps Andrew would not have been tipped off to its presence. He looks back at Natalie baffled. With Natalie sharing the same look, however, it was clear to him that none of them had seen anything quite like it in their travels.

Though to be fair it was not the first time they have been perplexed by the sight of a creature. Most times the discovery earned them an unwelcome engagement. From the looks of it, however, the moving cliff face did not seem to be aware of their presence, at least not yet. It was busy grazing on the black rubble off the mountain face like cattle does grass. As he watches it graze questions began flowing though his mind.