Chapter 4: Abstruse trap

Quick note: I'm sure that most of you know already about the video above right?... Right?? I know most people on here use if for images but I tend to stick up a soundtrack that I feel best suits a fair part of the chapter. So it's always worth checking out if you feel so incline.

Natalie hangs firmly in a narrow hallway of the pitch black base. With the strength of her upper arms and lower limbs pressed up firmly against either side of the wall she hung dormant form it's very top like a lamp. 

Its twelve-foot drop made it an unlikely place for hurrying guards to stop and check. These men dressed in all brown with hard helmets and black padded shoulders dart on through the halls leading them to the power room that stood just beyond the spot Natalie was hanging from.

They enter the inky dark room with a swift confidence of their footing. The fuming sparks that the power core gave off lit the room in inconsistent factions. Natalie being above them in the hall just outside could see the glow of their energy through the walls. She noticed what it was that helped them see in the dark. Over their eyes was a goggle-like an object with a single lens protruding out of it. 

Natalie never being exposed to such a device in her travels found her gaze transfixed on it. Still uncertain on how or why it can help them see in the darkness she mulled over its function with narrowed eyes only to again hit a stubborn wall in her knowledge, but alas she was all but certain this was the reason why they suddenly became so organised even though the lights were no more.

Maybe I was a bit rash in destroying their core power source. Natalie shook her head to herself.

In the power room below her laid a number of mechanics passed out after she engaged them. Falling victim right where they last absorbed themselves in fixing the power outage their bodies remained lifeless on the cold floor, their flashlights still rest in palms whilst they slumber.

To Natalie at the time, it felt like the best cause of action. She thought that whatever it was that they had over their eyes was feeding them info from an outside source. She hoped by cutting out the power to the rest of the base whatever data they were feeding off to see would also be severed.

But the plot backfired.

One of the guards kneels over a passed out mechanics to check his pulse whilst the others investigate the power core for the source of its damage. Thanks to this they will be tipped off on Natalie and Andrew's presence in no time.

"He's still ticking but just barely." One of the men said in a deep but slightly muffled voice.

"The power source for this place has been done a number on." Another one of them grumbled, poking the large unstable cylinder with the end of his rifle. The sudden spark bursting off it makes him twitch a little in delay.

"What do you think? Was this an accident?" he said after composing himself to look at the others.

"It has to be. Nobody knows of this place!" Another one of the five said.

The man who was inspecting the passed out mechanic lifts himself up and looks around the room. The other four fall silent and acknowledge his presence like one would a leader of a group.

"There are no wounds. Spikes of temperature forming around his neck and chest. All leads points to shock from messing with the power." He looks up to the door in ponder making Natalie on the other side of it tense up.

For it was then that a dreaded thought ran through her mind. That maybe the device on their eyes don't just somehow help them see in the dark but perhaps it also enables them to see through walls and at living things much like she can. Suddenly she felt the presence of eyes hitting her. Holding her breath her palms began to grow sweaty as she supports herself making her have to work harder to maintain her place on the ceiling.