Chapter 23: Detach

She taps her feet on the elevator floor repeatedly as she strops off another bothered glance to the unnaturally chipper Spriiko. Giving where they were going and for why she knew that his confident smile and humble humming was sourly misplaced.

But more so she was worried that meeting the dragons heads in that state of mind would only further break.     

With the shaky lift counting down and below zero May puffed up her chest and folded her arms around them before forcing a casual convocation.

"Now you are aware that not getting the gatekeeper is a big blow to our operation right?" she huffed out loud before glancing a peak back to see if that grabbed his attention.

Getting no reaction she continued. 

"And there's the small matter of the damages done to the city, damage that has yielded them no results for their cost."

It was at this point that May quickly picked up that he was deliberately ignoring her. Bowing her head in defeat she gives up. She did all that she could do to prep him. She only prays that he at least takes some of her words to heart.

"I understand your worries," Spriiko picked up. "But honestly you've got nothing to worry about. Even with the setbacks, I was sure as hell more useful than anyone else out there I remember that much. Sure they may bring it up. But when they lay everything down they will see that I did my best with what was given. I saved lives and held my own against multiple hosts. I would give myself a step up on my rank from –Dragon Tail- to -Talon- if I were them."

May was not sure where to start on his comment so she opted out with a long spaced out glare instead which Spriiko just chuckled off before tapping her on the shoulder repeatedly.

"Don't worry May! I'm telling you! The meeting down there will all go silky smooth," he finished, his grin revealing his dimples.

May just nodded in a stunned manner. She was no longer worried anymore; she was however not convinced on his take on things.

The elevator door opens into a large dimly lit room; just up front was a long table with four well-dressed men sitting across them. Spriiko waltz in with both palm resting on his neck.

"I was summoned?" he picked up, his voice vibrating through the hollow walls.

Seth nodes to his question before diverting his attention to May.

"I see that both - Dragon Heart- and -Tail- could make it here," he said in a voice that could almost be mistaken for a formal tone.

"Glad to be here! Would not miss my promotion for the world," Spriiko beamed up splitting Seth attention from May to him.

His fleeting sense of formal interest seemed to blow away with Spriiko's abrupt comment dulling his eyes as a result.

"Let us move onto the topic at hand," he readjusted himself to look at May. "You've just returned from being in the city correct? How has the mood of the people changed since yesterday?"

"They seem to be faring better. Many of the business have reopened and food packs have been reaching the people who most need it," May said right before standing somewhat firm.

Seth nods his head whilst masking his mouth with his fingers. May relaxes somewhat allowing her mask of uncertainty to surface.

"As much as I like it, is... tending to the weak truly a use of my skills in this campaign?"

"Soothing the pain of people is as important as recruiting new ones, you can't make a man jump if he sees there is no safety net for the ones who had," Seth said.