Chapter 3: Love at First Fight

The bottle hit the floor, smashing into millions of pieces. Liquid spilling, blood dripping, tarnished lives at the thought.

I lied awake in my bed, mind racing with thoughts. Stan had new girlfriend practically every week, and he always used her. He'd convince himself that they're in love, and she thinks so too, and then it's over. Just like that. No remorse, no sadness. Just over.

One of these days, if he continues the pattern this year, it will all backfire. One of these days, the girl will break his heart. Stan's my best friend in the whole wide world, I can't let that happen to him. Heartbreak is one of the worst feelings you get, I know from experience.

bzzt

I glanced at my iPhone, it's 12:30 am and I had a text? Groggily I reached over and read that it was from Stan- and he had a new girlfriend. I slammed my phone down and got out of bed.

Angrily, I put on boots and a coat, I needed to get there as soon as I could to tell him that this was a bad idea! I couldn't believe him! Is this all he cares about? Popularity and boobs?! Well, I would sure show him.

I crept out onto my windowsill and reached out to the ladder kept right outside, my hand wasn't steady on the sill but I ignored it. When I was sure that it was secured on the ground below me, I propped it onto the window and climbed down; like I had done so many times before.

As soon as my feet hit the ground I stumbled my way through the snow. It fell heavily now, as if it matched my anger. Exactly why I was angry? I don't know. I just knew he had to be stopped before he got hurt.

I opened the gate to his backyard and picked up a stone, not looking at the size. As soon as his window was in sight I chucked the rock. Soon after I heard a crack, and saw Stan's bedroom light turn on.

He threw open the window, "WHAT THE FUCK KYLE?" He whisper shouted out into the night, not wanting to wake his family.

"Get the fuck down here, Stan!" My words slurred. He shook his head and closed his window, and soon emerged from his back door.

"What the fuck, dude? It's the middle of the night and you just broke my window! I'm gonna be in so much trouble!" Stan exclaimed, exaggerating his motions as he pointed at the wreckage.

I could barely stand. I licked my dry lips and jabbed my finger in his face. "You! You use girls, you break their hearts, you, you, girl heart breaker!" I shouted, seething with anger.

"Kyle are you drunk? You never react this way to me getting a new girlfriend!" He looked worried about me, but that didn't matter. He doesn't care about me, obviously. If he cared he would take my advice.

"No!" I took a step back. "Why do you ALWAYS DO THIS STAN? YOU NEVER LISTEN TO ME!" My eyes felt droopy as I shouted at him, my ears cold and red from the frost.

The snow fell heavy around us, like billions of feathers being dumped from the roof. We shouted at each other for what seemed like hours, I knew it only could've ended one way but my mind was plagued with the poison from the bottle. I couldn't have stopped while I was ahead.

But that was all behind me now. I slammed the gate behind me, hearing Stan's back door creak shut as I trudged off into the snow once more. What's done is done, and it can't be changed.