Chapter 7: Kenny's Secret

~KENNY'S POV~

I felt my stomach start to churn. I had just let go of Kyle's hand so he could go inside, it's either I risk Kyle finding out my secret or I stick it out until I get home. I can't hold it in, I'm a ticking time bomb.

"Kyle, may I use your restroom?" I removed my hood as I stepped into his house. It was large and fancy, just how I remembered it from every other time I had been here.

"Uh, sure. You know where it is dude." He shrugged, walking upstairs with his slightly disheveled books in his arms. I quickly walked into his kitchen, his mom was doing the dishes and Ike was doing homework at the kitchen table. I rushed into the little bathroom that was connected to the kitchen. I looked for towels I could shove under the doorway so nobody could hear me vomit, there wasn't any. Oh well.

I felt it coming, I couldn't hold it back any more. I knelt by the porcelain throne and felt my body heave. I hate having to go through this, it's disgusting. It hurts. But if there's any chance of me living through it, chemo is my only option.

When I was first diagnosed with leukemia, they immediately put me on chemo. The doctors warned me about throwing up. But I didn't know it was going to be like this. I could feel my body slowly dying, the chemo was killing me. The cancer was killing me. I felt weak. Feebly, I reached up to flush, but could barely push hard enough for the lever to work.

"Kenny? You've been in there for awhile." Kyle knocked on the bathroom door.

I cleared my throat. "Yeah, uh, I had a burrito today for lunch. Haha... You know what that does to me." I cringed in wait for his response.

"Haha, yeah. Just wanted to make sure you weren't dying or something." Kyle laughed, walking away.

"Yeah. That'd be awful." I braved myself on the pale green wall for support as I tried to stand up. My legs slightly wobbly, I managed to balance my weight.

~~~

As soon as I saw my little Sister's room light go off, I closed my room door and dug something out of my closet that I would never wear again. I slid the tight purple leotard on and put on my mask. Completing the look with the mysterious cape, I knew I was ready for action.

I climbed out my window, feeling silly walking around in my own back yard like this. I used this years ago to play pretend, but I feel like now is the time to be somebody's hero again.

I could feel tears forming in my eyes and I slid Karen's window open, and silently jumped up onto the windowsill. "Karen." I whispered, altering my voice to sound deeper.

"Huh." She rubbed her eyes, groggily looking up from her bed. "M-my guardian angel?" She looked so surprised. I understand though, she hasn't seen her hero in years.

"I need to tell you something important Karen." I choked up a bit, pausing for her reaction. She nodded slightly for me to go on. "You've grown up, and I need to watch over and protect other people. So... I won't be seeing you as much as I used to. I trust that you can take care of yourself, and perhaps others too."

She started to tear up a bit. "But I don't know how, Mysterion!" I jumped into her room, and embraced my sister.

"Know that I will always be with you. Just, try to remember me. Remember what I've done for you." Slowly, I removed my cape, making sure to keep my mask on of course. "I want you to have this."

"Your cape?" She gasped, clutching the dark piece of fabric.

"You'll need a costume if you're going to save the day." I hugged her once more, fully grasping the fact that this is the last time I'll be her guardian. I won't be able to protect her from the world anymore. She needs this, she needs to grow up. She's more than capable of taking on the responsibility of being a hero. "Take care, kid." I climbed out her window, silent tears creeping down my face.

I was never one to cry, but it looks like it's time to change a few things. Suddenly, I felt a buzzing in my pocket.

"Uh, hello?" I said, answering my crappy flip phone.

"Dude, I need to tell you something." Stan said, nervous.

"Oh. Um. Alright? I'll be right over." Hanging up, I looked down at my costume. No time to change, I guess I just have to go like this.