Epilogue

I was awoken in a hurry, my husband shook me awake. He had a pained expression on his face and he was trying to tell me something. "Stan? What time is it? Where's Lucy?" I could barely speak. Everything was blurry and I could barely keep my eyes open.

Stan's arms wrapped tightly around his stomach. "Kyle. We need to, we need to go to the hospital."

As soon as the words escaped his mouth, I shot up and headed to the door. I need to get my daughter, I can't leave a five year-old alone in a house at night. Stan followed behind me. I could hear his hand against the textured wall. He could barely walk, we need to get him to the hospital.

I still didn't know what was going on, I just knew it was serious. Stan never stopped drinking and I'm afraid this might be the consequences finally showing through. I can't lose him now, we have a daughter to raise.

"Lucy, sweetie, wake up." I gently whispered to her. Her eyes fluttered open, and she smiled.

"Hi daddy. Why are you waking me up?" Her innocence made me smile, she didn't understand that when you get woken up late at night, it probably does not mean something good. I told her that we needed to take her father to the hospital because he had a stomachache. I told her that he would be okay, that nothing would go wrong.

I just wish that I believed it myself.

~~~

Want to know what happens next? Read the next book, coming soon: Broken Glass