Chapter Sixteen: Shift And Clench

I must have fallen asleep while lounging in Jasper's bed because, the next thing I knew, Jasper was nudging me.

"Wake up, baby." He coaxed, pulling a long groan out of me. I stretched, turning to the source of the my special alarm. Jasper was sprawled out next to me with his head raised and resting on his raised arm.

"Mm, what time is it?" I asked, unconsciously running my hand down his chest and nestling closer. He groaned when my body was flush against his.

"Close to time for the shift, I can tell you that much. I just got done with all my meetings and paperwork." He growled, leaning down to nibble at my neck and wrapping his free arm around my waist. I felt his hand creeping up the back of my shirt and around the front to my breast but the spell was broken by a knock on the door. Jasper groaned but got up and went to answered the door. Cory was on the other side of the door, waiting expectedly.

"Yes, Cory?" Jasper asked, sounding irritated.

"The rest of the pack members are getting ready to head out to the forest." Cory informed Jasper. "I decided to come get you." He smiled, glancing into the room where I was still on the bed.

"Thanks for your concern. We'll be down and out there in a moment." Jasper muttered and slammed the door in Cory's face. "I guess it's time to go. I'm sure he'll be back if we don't get there soon." Jasper sighed. "I'm really starting to get tired of that guy and his cock-blocking." He muttered, going into his closet for a bag. I giggled, leaning up on my arm. Cory had truly seemed to always pop up right when Jasper and I got closer. "I had your brothers get you a change of clothes for after and I packed it with my stuff."

"Cool. Let's get going then." I shrugged, jumping up off the bed. "Do you guys still have that party down by the forest before the shift?"

"Yeah, that's where most everybody is right now. I figured we were alone for awhile but I guess I was wrong." He answered, taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly.

"Relax, Jasper, things will happen when they happen. Until then, we're just us." I smiled, rising on my tip toes and kissing his cheek. "Come on, Nina is dying to get out. I'm actually surprised she let me sleep." I giggled, taking his hand and pulling him out the door behind me. He scowled most of the way up the trail to the forest, unhappy that he didn't get to have his "happy" time alone with me.

We walked hand and hand until we reached the small clearing just before getting into the thick brush. People from both packs were spread around, talking and dancing to the rather loud music that was playing. For werewolves, the night of the full moon was a huge event so we made it into a party of sorts. Wolves of all ages mingled together and enjoyed the anticipation stewing with the coming shift. Usually, there was a firm belief that the elders of the pack didn't party in the same places as the younger people because it was inappropriate but the full moon night was one of the few exceptions.

"I love seeing everybody together like this." I spoke softly to Jasper, squeezing his hand softly and leaning my head on his upper arm.

"I do too. It's nice when the whole pack is together." He grinned, turning his head enough to drop a kiss on my forehead. If I was being honest, I loved being in the midst of people like me. It had been a long time since I was able to be with my own people.

Jasper led me to a rather large tree, a few paces into the forest, and set down the bag with our clothes inside before leading me back up to the clearing. Surprisingly, I enjoyed just letting him lead me from place to place. Being with him, as an Alpha female and him being the Alpha male, I was content to just follow where he wanted me to go. I didn't need to be in the front and out there for people to see. I felt good just being with him, following his lead.