France: June 6th, 1944 (Evening)

June 6th, 1944 (Evening)

Joe felt like kicking himself. It was stupid of him to come back to Josie's house with her. He wasn't thinking clearly when he practically forced his presence in her home. Now instead of being at the farmhouse with the rest of his men talking and being distracted, he was sitting alone in her living room consumed with his own thoughts.

He tried to think about something else, anything really. But his mind was completely focused on Josephine. He was consumed with thoughts of that German touching her. It made him disgusted to think about what she had to endure at that very moment to get the information they needed. Then as time

passed he became worried sick that something had gone wrong. Maybe Christoph had finally figured out who she was. That thought alone had him wanting to storm out of the small house and find her.

At this point he was looking for any excuse to leave the confines of her home. Trapped there alone with his thoughts was making him feel suffocated. There wasn't enough room in the house to contain all the thoughts, worries, and emotions he was currently dealing with. This wasn't how Joe had imagined he would be spending the first day of the Allied invasion.

Luckily, Joe was taken out of his own thoughts as he heard someone approaching. Taking a quick look outside he felt every muscle in his body relax as he watched Josie make her way up the path to her front door.

"You're back." Joe greeted her as soon as she was inside. The relief was clear across his face as he looked her over just to be sure she was alright.

"Sure am but I'm not sure you're going to like what I found." She told him as she took off her hat and kicked off the heels she was wearing.

"What?" He questioned with a dark look.

"Your friend and five others have been captured. They're waiting on transport to take them to a prison camp." Josie told him sadly and watched as he processed the information. They all knew the storied of what Germans did to their prisoners and the thought of Sergeant Craine and the others being tortured or executed made a fury build up inside him.

"No. We have to stop them." Joe nearly yelled the words unable to control his anger.

"No." Josie yelled back in return gaining his attention. "We don't have to do anything." She told him calmly as his eyes stayed trained on her. She could see the anger still lingering just below the surface. "You need to lead the men here and make sure to do your job and fight. You're not going to drop everything for a handful of capture paratroopers. It's too heavily guarded where they're being kept. You'd never get to them especially with such small numbers." She tried to be logical but she knew no matter how she explained the situation he was going to want to go after them. She knew enough about the man in front of her to know he wasn't going to willingly leave any of his men behind.

"I can't..." He began to argue with her but Josie quickly put a hand up silencing him. He stared at her with a mixture of confusion and frustration.

"I on the other hand have this terrible habit of disrupting German transports whenever possible. I'll do everything I can to get your guys out of there." She smiled as she finished speaking and watched as the smile spread to Joe. He shook his head and chuckled.

"Thank you." He said genuinely.

"Any excuse to mess with the Germans." She brushed off his appreciation with a wave of her hand and headed towards her bedroom.

"Do I want to know what you had to do to get this information?" Joe had to ask. He knew he shouldn't but the words escaped him before he had the chance to stop them. He was still facing the door his back to Josie who was frozen in her steps as she turned to look at him.