Prologue

Prologue

"Ugh! Jax, you're such an idiot!"

Little June Proctor was mad, furious, and humiliated! Her best friend Jax had just made them lose a game of capture the flag (a game that June took very seriously), and he didn't even care!

"Stop whining, you sound like a nine year old." Jax said.

June couldn't help it, she giggled. "I am a nine year old!"

They both were giggling madly on top of the yellow slide on the playground. It was their favorite spot to go when they needed to hide from scary mean recess teachers.

"Miss Josie looks like a hot dog today!" Jax pointed to a stout little woman in yellow dress pants and a red blouse.

June laughed. "She's so rude. In math class, she took away my glitter glue because I wasn't paying attention!" June started to get sad and pout.

But thankfully, Jax was there to comfort her. "We'll get it back. I can beat her up for you!"

That got June smiling instantly. "You can't beat her up! You're just a little boy."

Jax raised his eyebrows. "Oh really?"

June nodded but Jax kept arguing.

"If I'm a little boy, can I do this?"

Then, without giving poor little surprised June a warning, Jax leaned forward and kissed her!

Both of their eyes were wide open and he soon drew back. June was too surprised to talk, much less blink.

Jax had kissed her! Her best friend since pre-k!

Suddenly, June's face scrunched into disgust and horror. "Ew! Cooties! You kissed me!"

June was too horrified and busy wiping her lips to notice that Jax was chuckling to himself.

"Why are you laughing you butthole?!" June yelped.

Jax shrugged and pouted. "You said that I'm a little boy!"

June harrumphed and slid down the slide, trying to get as far away from this psycho as possible.

"June!" Jax called after her, sliding down the slide as well. "I'm sorry!"

Exasperatedly, June spun back around and crossed her arms over her chest. "Promise you'll never do that again?"

Jax nodded quickly. "I promise." He held out his pinky finger.

June took it in her own. "There, we're sealing the deal. No more kisses."

Jax nodded, making a disgusted face. "Yeah, gross. No more kisses."