Chapter 12

Chapter 12

After the whole mess was sorted out and Principal Robertson called both our parents, we went home.

Suspended for a whole school week, is what Robertson had assigned for our punishment. Plus, after we returned, there would be two days of helping out the cafeteria ladies make lunches. But since Kylie was so horrified from the idea of actually having to make something herself, she was assigned to after school detention instead.

Honestly, I would rather cook that be in that hellhole of a classroom for an extra hour. Even if the food was pretty much inedible.

"What were you thinking, June?" My dad asked me when we got back home. It had been a silent drive from the school. One filled with a lot of tension and awkward silence.

"She was trash talking me, Dad! What else was I supposed to do?"

"Not fight! You could've just ignored her and gone on."

"I can't do that. I'm not as civil as you, Dad." I said, turning to face the front again.

Hearing him sigh heavily, I slouched. "You know, you're just like your mother."

I looked at him, surprised. He never talked about Mom. Ever. So the statement took me back a little.

"She would've done the same exact thing as you. Always a firecracker, that woman. She let people under her skin too easily."

I smiled with Dad, nodding. He was right, she had always been on the more passionate side. Mom would have never let anyone walk away from her or her family with rude comments.

"But I loved her for it," he continued, grinning ear to ear, "Still do."

Reaching out, I grabbed my dad's hand and smiled at him. "I'm sorry, Dad... but I can't let people walk away after they talk badly about me."

He nodded, squeezing my hand back. "I know, sweetheart. I know."

●●●

Thankfully, my dad didn't give me a punishment. He had thought that suspension and cafeteria duty were enough.

That night, I laid in my bed and stared at the ceiling, my mind wandering thoughts about the world.

Bzz. Bzz.

Reaching over, I grabbed my phone off the nightstand and checked who I had gotten a message from.

Jax: Come out onto your fire escape.

I got out of bed and did so; lifting up my window and crawling out into the cool night air.

Looking to my left, I saw Jax leaning against his railing with a smile. "Hey there, trouble maker."

I chuckled, leaning against my own railing. "That's me."

"How are your scratches?"

I touched my cheeks where two raised lines were beginning to form. "Hurts like hell."

He laughed, then came closer to the side of his escape to see better. "You're welcome, by the way, for not letting you kill her. I don't think I can go the rest of the school year with you in jail."

"Hey, we all want to punch the shit out of some people."

"Tell me about it," he sighed.

"So," I said, grinning, "When's your next race?"

"Tomorrow night, actually. Why, you want to go?"

I laughed. "Hell yes! Those things are crazy!"

Jax chuckled. "Seems like racing rubbed off on you."

"Yeah, thanks a lot." I scoffed.

After talking for a few more minutes, we both went inside after saying goodnight.

But before I drifted off to sleep, my phone vibrated once again.

And I couldn't hold back a grin when I read it.

Jax: You're pretty bad ass, June. AND your ass is pretty. What more could a guy want? ;)

●●●

Do you guys like it so far?

Have a fantastic day, much love,

-Anne :)