Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"What?"

A look of confusion and bewilderment was plastered across my face as Jax told me what he calls 'His Greatest Theory.'

Jax gave me a look as if to say "don't you get it?"

I shook my head, still not believing this.

"Look," he started, re-explaining 'His Greatest Theory', "You're my good luck charm! If you don't go to my races, then I lose!"

I gaped at him like he had just told me he was a Martian. "You're insane."

He shook his head. "No, no, no...you still don't understand. When you came with me to that race a few weeks ago, I won, remember?"

I nodded. "But I still don't see wh-"

"But ever since then at all my races, I've either come in second place or completely lost or won by barely an inch."

"So?"

He smiled goofily, waving his hands around as he spoke. "All those races, and you weren't there!"

Then he looked at me as if he were expecting some big 'ohhhh!' moment, but I stared at him weirdly. "Are you high?"

He glared, dropping his arms so that they were limp at his sides. "No, I'm not high, June. You just don't get it!"

I nodded. "Exactly. I don't get it."

He groaned in frustration. "When you go to my races, I win. But if you don't, I lose. Get it now?"

Now I get it, kind of... "But even when I wasn't here, when I haven't even moved yet, you were winning at least sometimes."

He shrugged. "Yeah, I still haven't gotten to that part, but it makes sense that you need to attend every single one of my races from now on."

He crossed his arms like a two year old in a fit to conclude his "theory."

"You are not forcing me to go to all your races! That's crazy, just like you!"

He clasped his hands together and shook them. "Please, please, please, June. If you go to the one tonight and I do win, then we'll both know my theory is right!"

I crossed my arms. "And what if you don't win? What do I get out of this?"

He shrugged again. "That's up to you. And you also get to spend a lot of time with me." he winked.

I thought, tapping my chin for effect. I could tell he was getting antsy for answers, so I made sure of it to take my time.

"I don't know...it's just a theory..." I drawled.

"Come on, June. Please."

I dropped my arms and sighed. "Fine, but I go for three nights, not one. And if you win all of them, then I'll believe you."

His eyes lit up brightly like I had just told him he had won the lottery. "Really?"

I shrugged. "Whatever makes you shut up about your stupid theory."

He smiled and punched the air above him. "Yes!" he shouted.

Rolling my eyes, I rubbed my temple in hope that it would cure the headache I had from him. Jesus, he was persistent.

"But," I started, almost laughing at Jax's sad look on his face, "if your theory is wrong and I win, then you have to walk around school all day with only a diaper on and a bib with a pacifier in your mouth. Then-"

He groaned. "There's more?"

I nodded, smirking. "You have to massage my shoulders, back, and feet."

He sighed. "That's it?"

"You're right, I need one more thing..."

He cursed himself and slapped his face.

"Also, you have to buy me more lasagna. I'm running low."

He threw his arms up and let them fall back to his sides. "Fine. But if I win, you have to not only admit that you were wrong, but you also have to come with me to a gala next Saturday. My mom's forcing me to go, it's for her work, and I need someone else to endure the torture with me."

I laughed. "Deal."

He smiled, taking my hand in his and shaking it firmly. "Deal."

●●●

"Damn it."

I mumbled to myself as Jax's car crossed the finish line, making him the winner of this race... a.k.a., the third race he's won.

Everyone was cheering and screaming and nonsense, so I clapped half-heartedly. It's not that I was sad that he won, it's just... yeah, I was sad that he won.

Now Jax would tease me about him being right and say "I told you so," over and over again. Maybe I should just walk out and say that I was never here or something...

I made my way to his room where I met him after every race. Finally, voices of people chanting his name and cheering echoed through the hallway as he approached. When he got to me, he smirked.

"I told you so."

"Fuck you," I muttered, letting him go inside.

His deep chuckle bounced off the walls and I rolled my eyes. Jax turned to me and the corners of his lips quirked up.

"And you thought I was crazy, tsk, tsk, tsk..." he shook his head and waggle his finger in my face.

I crossed my arms. "Just because you win three races with me here doesn't mean that I'm a charm."

"Uh, yeah, it kind of does. Last week, when you didn't show up because you were sick, guess who lost?"

I sighed. "I don't know, Jax. Who?" I asked sarcastically.

He cocked his head and pointed both thumbs towards his chest. "This guy."

Then he proceeded by stripping off his racing shirt and rummaging around the drawers for his cotton one. I was at loss for words as my field of vision narrowed directly onto his abs, then trailed down the low v of his pants.

"My eyes are up here, sweetheart." Jax winked and chuckled.

With a bright red flustered face, I turned around and tried to keep my thoughts from wandering off into wonderland. Where I would soon wonder what it would be like to run my fingers across every ab, his pecks, to the low v of his tight leather pants...

"Ready?" I jumped when his voice sounded from right behind me. Whipping around, I sucked in a breath when I found him surprisingly close to me.

"Yeah, of course." I said with as much confidence as I could.

He grinned. "Okay then, let's go."

●●●

Hello marvelous creatures of the universe.

Be sure to check out my two other books, 'Fight for Her' and 'See Kate Score.'

Fight for Her is also in the Watty Awards of 2015 so it would be the BEST if you all would go vote for it!

Anyways, have a fantastic day, much love,

-Anne :)