Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"Kylie at your six o'clock," I muttered as I eyed the one and only Queen Bitch at our school heading towards the lunch table where Jax and I sat. Her smug expression said it all, while I just wanted to wipe it off her face.

With my fist.

I saw Jax stiffen as Kylie walked up behind him and set her hand on his shoulder. Her perfectly painted bright blue nails trailed his arm as she sat down beside him.

"Jax!" she squealed, overly excited. "I was wondering where you went? You never sit anywhere else!"

Jax set down his pizza that was halfway to his mouth and cleared his throat. "I wanted to sit with June." He gave her a smile while nudging her hand off his shoulder.

Kylie's lips clenched, but then she turned to me and grinned very tightly. "Oh, I didn't even notice you here, December."

"June," I corrected, shrugging, but she didn't care.

"Anyways," she remarked, turning back to Jax, "Everyone wanted you to come back to the table. Let's go."

She grabbed Jax's arm to pull him up with her but he kept still; yanking his arm from her grasp. "I'll pass. Tell them that if they need to talk to me, then they can come over here and sit." Then he returned to eating his pizza.

Kylie's face burned and reddened. Steam would've shot out of her ears by now if it could.

Harrumphing, she regained her posture and calmness. "Fine. But just so you know, you're not invited back over there after today." Then Kylie turned on her heels and walked back to her table of friends.

Watching Jax from underneath my lashes, I felt a pit of sadness. "You can go over there if you want, you know. I'm almost finished so I can lea-"

I yelped in surprise when Jax grabbed a curly fry and shoved it in my mouth.

"Mmph!"

Jax chuckled, enjoying my shock. "I'm not going anywhere, June."

I chewed the fry, frowning. "But most of them are your friends."

He shrugged. "If they're truly my friends, then they'll come over here by themselves and eat with us. If not, then that's their loss for not hanging out with two pretty rad people."

I couldn't help but smile. Jax was one of the only people who could do that to me.

It had shocked me at first when he had pulled me over to an empty table near the windows when we walked in for lunch. I had planned to just go out and drive to a local fast food restaurant, but Jax had insisted.

Now, I was glad he was sitting with me. I wasn't much of the social approachable type with my resting bitch face.

So if it weren't for him, then I would probably be separated from anything and anyone my whole senior year because frankly, most people made me want to throw up.

After we both finished lunch early, we headed outside to the parking lot.

"Come on, I want to show you something," Jax said as he grabbed my hand and sprinted off.

I kept up the pace with him, but my mind was wandering to the pleasant feelings I was getting from holding Jax's hand. His rough, calloused fingers from gripping steering wheels all his life were wrapped up in mine. I wanted to skim my thumb over the top of his hand, but realized that that would be weird.

"Here we are."

I hadn't even noticed that we had appeared right in front of a large treehouse in the middle of the woods near our school. It was all the way up in a huge oak tree that was probably 12 meters high. A rope ladder rested against the side of the enormous trunk and led to a hatch door on the bottom of the tree house.