Chapter 32

Chapter 32

I woke up with a feeling of déjà vu, probably remembering the time I stayed at the hospital back home when Dad was in a coma.

And now it was Jax in trouble. The doctor had come out to tell me that he was in a deep coma, and they had him on life support.

Life support.

That's how bad it was. He couldn't even breathe on his own.

Looking around the hospital lobby, I watched people who would run around frantically and people who sat in the chairs like me and waited.

I tried to get my mind off thinking about Jax once, by making up daydreams about us sneaking off to the treehouse at night to look at the stars through a clearing in the branches. I imagined us going on more dates, more movies, cute dinners...

"June?" A nurse called out from the doors, holding a clipboard in her hands.

"That's me," I said, getting up quickly to walk over to her.

She smiled faintly, leading me down the hall. "You'll be able to see Jax, now. Keep in mind that he hasn't woken up yet, so we'll need to keep him steady on the life support for a while. You're allowed to stay with him over night if you'd like, and his mother will be arriving shortly."

She opened a door up for me and let me inside, closing it behind me.

I didn't move for a moment, I simply stared at Jax's pale, unmoving body. It smelt like metal and sickness. It felt cold and lonely. The only sounds I heard were the beeping of machines and my own rapidly beating heart.

I finally took one step forward, then another, and another. When I got to the side of Jax's bed, I couldn't help but let loose a few tears. Seeing him like this reminded me of the time my father was in the hospital, and it brought back those same emotions all over again.

I took a seat in one of the chairs by his bed. "Hey Jax, it's me, June. I don't know if you can hear me but I want to let you know that I'm right here and I'm not going anywhere until you wake up. So I need you to wake up for me, Jax," I held his hand in mine. "I need you to wake up."

It felt dumb talking to him like this, knowing that whatever I said wouldn't get to him. But I still had hope, even when all this shit was happening, I still believed that he could hear me somehow.

The rest of the night I stayed in the chair and kept holding his hand. It was probably around two in the morning when the door opened and Delilah walked in, her face red and eyes swollen.

"Oh my goodness... my Jax, my baby Jax..." she dropped her bag and came rushing to his other side, cradling his face in her hands. Tears streamed down her face as I tried my best to keep mine from coming out. Delilah brushed his hair back and kissed his forehead, and that almost made me break down right there.

"He was in control one second and lost it the next," I said, my voice wavering. "I-I don't remember exactly what happened I just remember trying to find him and get to him in the..." I dropped my head into my hands and took in a very shaky breath. Then I started to cry. I didn't want to, I didn't want to cry in front of Delilah. I wanted to be at least a little strong for her, but I couldn't stop myself. Water slid down my face as my body began to tremble violently.

Motherly arms wrapped around me as I gently rocked back and forth. I felt her worry and sadness in her touch but also her comfort as we both tried to cope the best we could. She brought me to the sofa against the wall and let me curl up against her side.